Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2004, 03:09 PM

Default General Question (low content)

If you are pretty sure your oppenent is pushing a flush draw, Do you Call? Or fold?

Like, say you have TT on a board of 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop we all limped, and on the flop im Button, He bets out around the size of the pot, I raise 2X the pot. He pushes? I have seen him do this before on a Flush draw, Is it correct to call? Or do you lay down and let the draw win?

Or is it just dependant on your bankroll?
Old 12-17-2004, 03:21 PM

Default Re: General Question (low content)

If he's got the flush draw with 2 overcards he's a modest favourite, about 54:46. It's quite possible in this case that he only has a suited ace or something, so that would make you the favourite by the same margin. Either way, with the money that's already in the pot you should call, unless you're horrendously deep-stacked and worried about the overcard flush draw.

Is either of your tens a heart by the way?

Of course, all this assumes that you are 100% certain it's a flush draw. If you're wrong and 25% of the time he's got a set, for instance, then fold.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:35 PM

It depends on the size of the pot and the stacks. If the pot is $5k, and you have $2.50 left, call. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If he has AJ hearts, the pot is small, and the stacks are deep, you're in a world of hurt, though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was in this same situation a few days ago, except that there were 3 hearts on the flop, I had a pr 8's with the 8 hearts, and buddy had AJ with J of hearts.

He won the hand. It was a large and costly error on my behalf, turned a session from $30-$35/hr into $10/hr profit.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:36 PM

Well , I was more like 95%

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed) converter

UTG+2 ($21.75)
MP1 ($56)
MP2 ($56)
MP3 ($57)
CO ($98)
Hero ($105)
SB ($99)
BB ($49)
UTG ($45)
UTG+1 ($71)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $1, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $1, MP3 calls $1, CO folds, Hero calls $1, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($6.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $4.25</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+2 folds, MP2 pushes. I was 95% here he was on FD. I saw him do the same thing earlier and loose a pot. He had about 40 Left.

I called

He showed A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

The Turn ws an UGLY 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

But should I be wanting to call here. That is my question.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's got the flush draw with 2 overcards he's a modest favourite, about 54:46.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you know that this is exactly what your opponent is holding, by the time he pushes there is enough in the pot that you are getting correct odds to call even as a small dog.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:59 PM

So this call was ok? Considering the Read, But against an oppenent im not sure, this is common fold?
Old 12-17-2004, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he's got the flush draw with 2 overcards he's a modest favourite, about 54:46.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you know that this is exactly what your opponent is holding, by the time he pushes there is enough in the pot that you are getting correct odds to call even as a small dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. The only exception would be in some hypothetical game where the stacks were so enormous that the amount already in the pot didn't make it worthwhile to call as a 46:54 dog.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it extremely important that you do know exactly what your opponent has. calling as a small dog is okay with the odds, but calling vs. a set 25% of the time and the flush draw the other 75% as someone else said is not correct.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:31 PM

In your hand, yes you want to call, as you're getting almost 2:1 as most likely somewhere between a 59:41 favorite or 54:46 dog.

As the stacks get deeper it becomes more debatable. Even though it's never likely to be a negative EV call, the risk vs. EV becomes less enticing. These types of calls can start to reek havoc on a relatively small bankroll if you're faced with them too often.

Bottom line is if you are comfortable with your bankroll and your read it's an easy call.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:36 PM

I pretty much agree with what others have said. I'd just like to add a couple more points that haven't been addressed much:

1) How likely is it that your opponent would push here with just something like A9? It is true that you don't want to call a push if your opponent will frequently do that with a set, but if he is crazy enough to push with hands that are WAY behind, it helps negate the times that he is way ahead.

2) Do you have the ten of hearts? This should not be what you base your decision on, but this card helps your equity in almost all instances. It removes one out from flush draws, and also gives you a backdoor draw against sets or overpairs with no heart. Off the top of my head I would estimate that you'd gain about 5% equity by holding this card. It's not a lot, but it helps.

And of course, this depends a lot on how much his final raise is. If you raise to $30 and he goes all-in for $60, I'm calling nearly all of the time, not only because I'm getting good pot odds, but also because with a shorter stack he is more likely to be pushing with marginal hands. If you raise to $30 and he goes all-in for $150, then you have a much more difficult decision.