Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Pretending I\'m Peter_Rus

Curious about this hand. I think I did OK or played it poorly, but I can't decide which.

PFR is a solid, if a bit too-tight, TAG; 21/17. Unfortunately, datamined stats so I don't have a good handle on his post-flop play. Villain that stays through the river is a LP fish 54/3 pre flop, but somewhat aggressive post-flop with an AF of 1.55. I've certainly seen him take stabs / make bluffs, but not an unreasonable amount that I know of. He's more likely to be calling than betting, but will very often bet when checked to or at a sign of weakness.

All thoughts / criticsms appreciated.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks.

Turn: (3 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, SB calls.

River: (5 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB
Old 09-18-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Pretending I\'m Peter_Rus

Riv: There is no legitimate hand SB is betting that you beat and your read doesn't seem to indicate he bluffs that much, so a fold seems in order.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:28 PM

Interesting.

I don't know about the preflop call. People are talking about how any two suited are playable from BB 3-way to a raise. But if I remember it correctly, when Peter was asked to break the suited hands into smaller groups, the result for the worst hands was negative. I think Tx and lower non-connectors non-gappers or something like that were unprofitable.

In this hand you are up against a LP and a TAG. It may be a profitable call because of the LP. I just brought the above up because it is interesting [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

On the turn that is a brave bet, but sure, why not. Maybe you will get them out 25% of the time. I don't know.

On the river I think folding is best. I don't think you're getting bluffed at much by an LP. Probably he called you with one pair and made two pair.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:33 PM

Just to be clear on the read -- he is very loose passive pre, but reasonable post. He does bluff, but not an extraordinary amount as far as I know (and not in the context of 10/20 as far as I know). He's not the sort of player to only bet when he makes his hand. In other words, I think the river is reasonably close, and am happy to hear comments and thoughts on it, but just want to make sure that no one interprets the read as "LP bets out = easy fold."
Old 09-18-2005, 06:35 PM

I call the river. His betting pattern is extremely suspicious. A 1.5AF from a 50 VPIP player is not every low, and since you say he gets more aggressive at signs of weakness, I would expect Jx and Kx to bet the turn. So, I bet the river and expect to see AQ/AT/QT or maybe T9 1 in 7 times.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting.

I don't know about the preflop call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me either!

[ QUOTE ]
People are talking about how any two suited are playable from BB 3-way to a raise. But if I remember it correctly, when Peter was asked to break the suited hands into smaller groups, the result for the worst hands was negative. I think Tx and lower non-connectors non-gappers or something like that were unprofitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda - I went back and found the thread and he reported that the trash went slightly negative when removing Qx and Jx. But, the really trashy (no straight possibilities) hands like T3s, 94s, etc. were pretty negative and so I don't know where a one-gapper (and a super low one) falls. In any event, I'm no Peter-rus and so I suspect that these hands are not likely +EV for me.