Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Slowplayed trips gets ugly on turn - PP $30+3 3-table

Comments on all streets welcome, but the main question is whether or not to pay off the river bet..

Villain is quite loose preflop, w/ donkish tendencies (i.e. min-betting and raising).

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

UTG (t2115)
UTG+1 (t440)
MP1 (t1100)
MP2 (t1175)
CO (t875)
Button (t2035)
SB (t745)
Hero (t1515)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t120) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t30</font>, Hero calls t30, UTG calls t30, MP1 calls t30.

Turn: (t240) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t30</font>, Hero calls t30, UTG folds, MP1 calls t30.

River: (t330) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t200</font>

Final Pot: t530
Old 09-20-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Slowplayed trips gets ugly on turn - PP $30+3 3-table

[ QUOTE ]
Comments on all streets welcome, but the main question is whether or not to pay off the river bet..

Villain is quite loose preflop, w/ donkish tendencies (i.e. min-betting and raising).

UTG (t2115)
UTG+1 (t440)
MP1 (t1100)
MP2 (t1175)
CO (t875)
Button (t2035)
SB (t745)
Hero (t1515)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t120) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t30</font>, Hero calls t30, UTG calls t30, MP1 calls t30.

Turn: (t240) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t30</font>, Hero calls t30, UTG folds, MP1 calls t30.

River: (t330) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

In my early days of NL poker I used to slowplay all sets and trips, the whole way, unless someone pushed or raised a lot and I felt like I could get them to goall in. I also used to basically treat sets and trips the same. That's bad. That being said, though your play isn't terrible, I think you played too slowly...

On the flop I think I'm ok with just the call. I think you were probably hoping that someone else raises, which is fine.

I'm not really sure why you think this board is that scary on the turn. What are you afraid of, 6T or quad tens? I think if he has either I pay that off basically every time.
I would have raised the turn, if for no other reason than value. I'd call a push.

I'd have pushed back at the river. I'm still assuming I have the best hand. I don't know why you think you're "paying off" a river bet.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:55 AM

hmmmm.. well, he bet into 2 people on the river so it's definitely not a bluff.. maybe he had a small pocket pair and thinks it's good cuz nobody has really shown strength yet.. or he hit a higher full house, but wouldn't he check the full house on the turn if he made it? I'd call based on your perception of the villain.. kind of weird play by him.. let's say he has top pair on the flop, even bad players would bet that more.. then full house on the turn, I don't see how anyone bets that with 2 players behind
Old 09-20-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not really sure why you think this board is that scary on the turn. What are you afraid of, 6T or quad tens?

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF.. LOL! No, I'm scared of the much more obvious and reasonable possibility; a bare ten of any kind. You know TX is beating me right?

But I agree with you generally about slowplaying, and I would often raise here.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

UTG (t2115)
UTG+1 (t440)
MP1 (t1100)
MP2 (t1175)
CO (t875)
Button (t2035)
SB (t745)
Hero (t1515)

[/ QUOTE ]

In my early days of NL poker I used to slowplay all sets and trips, the whole way, unless someone pushed or raised a lot and I felt like I could get them to goall in. I also used to basically treat sets and trips the same. That's bad. That being said, though your play isn't terrible, I think you played too slowly...

On the flop I think I'm ok with just the call. I think you were probably hoping that someone else raises, which is fine.

I'm not really sure why you think this board is that scary on the turn. What are you afraid of, 6T or quad tens? I think if he has either I pay that off basically every time.
I would have raised the turn, if for no other reason than value. I'd call a push.

I'd have pushed back at the river. I'm still assuming I have the best hand. I don't know why you think you're "paying off" a river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's afraid of 10-anything.. I think the check of the trips was fine here with the rainbow board and no apparent straight draws.. Great flop to slowplay usually
Old 09-20-2005, 01:58 AM

yea i think you missed something Dave..

but i think i fold this on the river, the pots pretty small, so your risk/reward isn't so hot.

Move on to the next hand.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not really sure why you think this board is that scary on the turn. What are you afraid of, 6T or quad tens?

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF.. LOL! No, I'm scared of the much more obvious and reasonable possibility; a bare ten of any kind. You know TX is beating me right?

But I agree with you generally about slowplaying, and I would often raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, it's late, I'm tired, and I've had a bad poker day. My point about raising goes doubly then. I knew there was something I was missing..
Old 09-20-2005, 05:15 PM

Default RESULTS

Yeah, i went ahead and folded figuring I was calling for at best half the pot.

I'll typically fastplay trips, but like someone else said i thought this was a good flop to slowplay with a rainbow board and only gutshot draws possible, everyone is drawing quite slim against me. Really i was hoping one of the others would raise the flop.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:33 PM

Really stupid question, but what's the difference between a set and trips?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:41 PM

Set=Trips