Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-18-2005, 11:32 PM

Default JJ : First hand, early position. Question on Turn.

Hello!

Just started playing NL sit and go on party. Did around 50 so far and doing good. Still learning and i'm seeking some advices on this hand. I actually busted on the first hand of the tournament, lol!

I don't really know how to use the converter so i'll do it my way and hope it looks clear :

Party 10$+1

I'm UTG+1. UTG folds. I have J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Blinds 10/15

I open raise to 55.

I get reraised to 95, one cold call and I complete.

Flop : 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players) Pot : 310

I bet 200 chips.
Reraiser calls
Coldcaller folds.

Turn : Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (Pot = 710 chips)

I bet 505 chips and I'm all-in.

The guy calls me and he's all-in too.

Of course, i played the turn bad. I can't like that queen especially versus the reraiser. I thought the guy had 2 overcards or maybe a low pocket pair (you get to see this a lot in 10$+1). I know I have no reason at this point to risk all my chips so early in tournament, but I'm just wondering how should I play this on the turn. Check/Fold?

The guy had AJ, hit a K on river and win with a straight... lol.. But I don't want to be result oriented, am i right to assume that I had to slow down on turn and get ready to fold, waiting for a better spot to win my chips..?

Thanks!

faded.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: JJ : First hand, early position. Question on Turn.

At the $11 level I think this is a fine way to play the hand. You raised correctly preflop (if you had QQ you would surely want to reraise here though), and you bet correctly on a safe flop. Since he called you on the flop it is unlikely he is calling with hands that a Q will help and probably has a ten or just can't lay down his AK. Sure he could have a Q, but more often than not you are still ahead here and your turn bet is fine I think.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:49 AM

The hand is fine but on the turn I would check. This is because it's a WA/WB situation and if you push here he will call with a Q, and fold (well he should.. this guy was obviously a retard but anyway) with a hand that you have smashed. Checking gives him the chance to bluff at the pot with air, enabling you to move in. Just understand there's no way you can fold here really, so you might as well get the money in the way that gets hands that are behind you to give you their chips as well as hands that are ahead of you.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:43 PM

Why you considering there's no way I can fold here, so early in tournament. In fact, I was pretty sure the guy had two overcards on the flop. Now there's a very good chance he hits on turn and I must think *oh well, i'll take that chance and invest most or all of my chips very early in tournament?*

Just trying to figure this out... thanks for your first reply..!

d.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:44 PM

Anyone else other than me wanna push the flop?