Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 11:32 PM

Default $11: is this more okay since blinds were about to go up?

Blinds were going to 75/150 next hand. Against a loose range, SNGPT says this is +0.3%, so pretty much neutral. Should I more heavily consider this kind of move given that blinds were about to eat a quarter of my stack?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) converter

BB (t850)
UTG (t1010)
Hero (t930)
CO (t2860)
Button (t710)
SB (t1640)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold, Hero pushes . . .
Old 12-12-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Re: $11: is this more okay since blinds were about to go up?

It makes sense, but it surprised me:

This is +0.2% against an average range, but +0.8% against a tight range. Against a maniac range it's +0.6% (which may have been more accurate given I got called by QTo).

Just kinda funny since I've been plugging non-pocket pairs into SNGPT, so those tend to have EV calc's that are either increasing or decreasing as you tighten the calling range. . .

Edited to ask: for the $11s, barring no reads, is it smart to just leave the calling range on "loose" or do people like to do average or a mix?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blinds were going to 75/150 next hand. Against a loose range, SNGPT says this is +0.3%, so pretty much neutral. Should I more heavily consider this kind of move given that blinds were about to eat a quarter of my stack?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course.

It's still a bit borderline imo. You'll have a fair few chips left after the blinds hit you.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:39 PM

I played around with some ranges, and it does seem pretty marginal no matter how I slice it.
BB is soon escaping the rising blinds, possibly tightening him up a tad. Unless CO has shown
some pretty loose calls (building that lead), I'm pushing this too.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for the $11s, barring no reads, is it smart to just leave the calling range on "loose" or do people like to do average or a mix?

[/ QUOTE ]

At the 11's I tend to use Maniac and will often expand it to a custom range: 22+,A2+,K2+,QT+,J8+,T9 and still be suprised by what I get called by.

The good thing is that if you are making +EV pushes against this range anything against anyone tighter is going to be even more +EV.
Of course if you are lucky enough to have a read on a tight player to your left, just go crazy.

As for your 6's, I'd probably fold them.
Low pairs are not that good against nutcases.
The problem is that you are likely to get called by many hands (such as QT) over which you are only a slight favorite or a coinflip. I don't like putting my tournament on the line in that situation.
You're not in as much trouble as you think yet.
You are in early position, lots of people acting after you who might call, and they all have stacks which are dangerous to you.

Let them bust each other out for a while first, you'll get a better spot soon.