Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 01:24 PM

Default 5/10 Hand (Boring Title; Interesting Hand)

Hey all,

I really don't get to play much anymore, thus the lack of recent hand posts, but here is a hand that one of my students played that I think is fairly interesting.

5/10 6-max online. Hero is new to the site; thus, nobody has any reads on each other. Hero has been playing for a few orbits; nothing noteworthy to this point. Two players limp, and Hero ($1500) limps on the button with T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB folds, BB ($1800) checks. 4 to the flop, which comes:

8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB leads out for $30, limpers fold, Hero calls. $105 in the pot; turn comes:

T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero bets $70, BB check-raises to $200, Hero calls. $505 in the pot; river comes:

J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero checks.

I think that all streets might merit some discussion, but I find one to be particularly interesting... All comments greatly appreciated.

ML4L
Old 04-01-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Hand (Boring Title; Interesting Hand)

I think I like $250 on the river and fold to a raise, but I doubt that will happen as I'm pretty sure you're ahead.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:27 PM

you teach well. i play it the same on all streets. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2005, 01:30 PM

i raise the flop i dont know how good it is to take control of hand but i would of, i check the river also too many headaches if you bet i think
Old 04-01-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey all,

I really don't get to play much anymore, thus the lack of recent hand posts, but here is a hand that one of my students played that I think is fairly interesting.

5/10 6-max online. Hero is new to the site; thus, nobody has any reads on each other. Hero has been playing for a few orbits; nothing noteworthy to this point. Two players limp, and Hero ($1500) limps on the button with T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB folds, BB ($1800) checks. 4 to the flop, which comes:

8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero bets $70, BB check-raises to $200, Hero calls. $505 in the pot; river comes:

BB checks, Hero checks.

I think that all streets might merit some discussion, but I find one to be particularly interesting... All comments greatly appreciated.

ML4L

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like villian is trying to induce a bluff from a likely missed flush draw.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:48 PM

I like the flop and turn a lot.

I was somewhat torn about a small value bet on the river, but Kane brings up an excellent point. I like it.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey all,

BB checks, Hero checks.

ML4L

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like villian is trying to induce a bluff from a likely missed flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly what i just told yeti.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:59 PM

I don't like the line that the hero took on this hand.

Flop- I would raise to 90 sometimes, but other times I would just call. I would raise more often than call but believe either play is correct.

Turn- I would 3 bet here (to 500 - 650 straight) nearly every time. Playing against the BB who saw a free flop you can obviously be against any two. True, the villain may have 67 or a set but when he does it is nice to have those 13 outs to improve. I think that it is more common however that you will be against a smaller two pair or some kind of one pair+draw hand and against both you want to be raising.

River - Given the way that it panned out, I really don't like the check behind. With the action as it stands I have the villain on a weak 2 pair, a pair of 10s or 8s with a missed draw, or 67. I don't think that he would go for a double check raise with a set or 67 (although it is possible with the 67) but then again I don't think he would really be checking 2 pair here either (although it would make sense if he thought you would bet/raise him here and feared the same set/straight that you fear.) Because I don't think that he will call much with a 1 pair hand I would bet 300 on the end and fold to a raise. I think that he would call this with 2 pair (and maybe a set) but would raise with the straight. If he was ballsey enough to try a double check raise bluff then the pot is deservedly his.

How often will someone bluff a missed flush draw after they get check raised on the turn? I don't think that it is frequent enough for the villain to go for a double check-raise here.

-Steve
Old 04-01-2005, 02:08 PM

Which would tend to mean that a value bet of hero's two-pair is in order, right? I don't get why so many people are in favor of the river check, not to mention the flop call.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn- I would 3 bet here (to 500 - 650 straight) nearly every time. Playing against the BB who saw a free flop you can obviously be against any two. True, the villain may have 67 or a set but when he does it is nice to have those 13 outs to improve. I think that it is more common however that you will be against a smaller two pair or some kind of one pair+draw hand and against both you want to be raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

chances of getting btm two or the like to call a turn 3 bet arent very good on that board.

and raising this flop is not a good play. your hand isnt that strong in a multiway pot and most likely needs to improve a good amount to win. i would hate to get reraise on that flop.