Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Hand

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (4 handed) converter

Button ($94.80)
SB ($1568.70)
BB ($748.75)
Hero ($1101)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($70) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $140</font>, Hero calls $90.

Turn: ($350) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $300</font>, Hero calls $300.

River: ($950) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $690</font>, Hero calls $631 (All-In).

Final Pot: $2271

Thought: A while ago Diablo was responding to a post and talked about a situation where he would have a hand like AK, flop a pair, and come out firing on the flop and keep going. He wouldnt tell me why.

This hand, without disclosing the outcome, got me thinking about what kinds of spots do really good people find to bet a Q in the spot of the villain in this hand. IE, if I was the villain and I had AQ, when would I know to bet like this, and what situations would merit this type of aggression with one pair?

-Jason
Old 03-25-2005, 04:13 AM

Default Re: Hand

When you've been getting way out of line and UTG puts you on a draw and is ready to make a big call. K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ?
Old 03-25-2005, 04:23 AM

This is kind of a funny hand, if SB has a set, why doesn't he lead out with it? If he has a monster draw, why doesn't he lead out with it?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is kind of a funny hand, if SB has a set, why doesn't he lead out with it? If he has a monster draw, why doesn't he lead out with it?

[/ QUOTE ]come on. everyone plays every hand with zero imagination. i guess he doesnt read 2plus2.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:32 PM

If you're saying that small blind has a Q, and you're wondering why he played it that strong, it may be because he's seen you make similar plays before? Of course, i have no way of knowing this.

This hand is very read dependent of the small blind. Obviously you thought he was quite capable of firing 3-shells on a bluff/semibluff. Fine...But if the $300 on the turn is going to make you pot commited, why not reraise all in at that point? I guess you're hoping he gives it up, and you get a cheap show down?

I do think folding the turn is correct against most opponents. Problem is, you might not get paid off if you hit. And you don't know if your J or A outs are good.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do think folding the turn is correct against most opponents. Problem is, you might not get paid off if you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play lower limits and so on this forum I generally just ask questions. Why not reraise his checkraise on the flop? It seems as if you keep the pressure on him, give yourself chance to get away easier, and also have some fold equity.

But I'm trying to step up my aggressive play, so my suggestion just might be flat out crazy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 05:08 PM

Yes, Q,x is now _somewhat_ unlikely, but KT is even more.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:45 PM

I'll take a stab.

You lost to A4d. You were checkraised on the flop, as a test, or perhaps weak resteal with bottom pair as the semi-bluff.

Opponant picked up the flush draw on the turn, encouraging him to fire 2nd bluff into you. Had you not had the 2nd pair with nut flush draw, you are probably done at this point.

Opponant lucks out and catches the 4 on the river.

Eithe that, you lost to KQd, AQd, KK, QQ, AA, or even JJ. (my preference in order).
Old 03-25-2005, 06:19 PM

I've played plenty of pots like this with top pair, just not against players like you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I think the 100BB structure can warp things a bit because it seems like a lot of money to put in with a pair, but looking at it street by street all the bets are quite reasonable.

If I took villian's line I would need to think you were a loose raiser and would sometimes look me up, and the rest seems fairly standard. the flop checkraise is somewhat standard if he really wants to put money in the pot and wants to punish you for betting light, and the last two streets he's underbetting.

IMO the best way to counteract someone who you think will make thin value bets against you is to raise the turn allin. I seem to rarely win pots taking lines like you took, but that could be a function of image.

--turnipmonster
Old 03-25-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thought: A while ago Diablo was responding to a post and talked about a situation where he would have a hand like AK, flop a pair, and come out firing on the flop and keep going. He wouldnt tell me why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suffice it to say on similar boards I've check-checked TPTK all the way down and other times bet it all the way. Just depends on what I think the other guy has and what he'll do.

[ QUOTE ]
IE, if I was the villain and I had AQ, when would I know to bet like this, and what situations would merit this type of aggression with one pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I have AQ and get to the river in that manner, I will definitely fire again. I will put you on something like KQ or maybe you can make a heroic call w/ 99, putting me on a busted draw. In this situation, it would be all about the turn for me. On that board, how often are you going to flat call the turn w/ a better hand? Not much, IMO.