Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2005, 01:53 PM

Default KJ Hand

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

BB ($168)
UTG ($794.87)
MP ($888)
CO ($975)
Hero ($1814.63)
SB ($1309.75)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, SB (poster) calls $15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $70</font>, Hero calls $35.

Turn: ($190) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $100</font>, Hero calls $100.

River: ($390) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $450</font>
Old 03-20-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: KJ Hand

Looks like a busted flush draw to me, or eights full of three's. He is either on air or very strong, and it difficult to tell which. I am inclined to think that a set of eights would not min check raise this flop, but I do not know this player.

Are you right half the time here? I would make a "you're full of it" call, something that I have been doing a lot recently.

Take my advice with a grain of salt because I do not play 5/10.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:08 PM

Would sb call with 9d10d? If so then I would fold. AJ could be played that way, check tptk to the pf raiser and then raise... but I don't see him going crazy on the river like this. I vote against busted flush draw unless sb is a maniac.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:03 PM

I really dont think hes making that river bet with AJ, looks more like T9d, QJ, or possibly a set. Does he checkraise the flop with diamonds? Maybe T9d but I dont think with other diamonds. The turn bet is really weak which leads me to suspect its not a set, but I think that queen helped him somehow. I tihnk on the turn you should raise since he bets so weak and if he calls you can check behind on the river.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:50 PM

AJ, 88, or QJ.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bling.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:10 PM

Check raise on the flop ... hmmm Either top pair or a pair and thinks you don't have one.

My guestimate QJ, A3, AQd, set of 8 or even QQ. I doubt they made a straight. The bet on the turn doesn't look like it was designed to get you to give up. Appears that his hand improved from flop to river, so either the 3, or the Q.

The bet on the turn looks like he was concerned about a flush making it. I think they can beat KJ.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:35 PM

Read on SB?

If this is an unknown I probably fold on the turn.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:48 PM

I dont think you can put him on QQ or A3 here. You can't just list all the hands that beat KJ and put him on that. QQ is unlikely because he would have reraised preflop, if he didn't, oh well, surprise. A3, does he CR bottom pair and then make a weak bet on the turn when it hits?

Really looks like either T9d (the big draw makes the CR on the flop more likely than just diamonds or just a straight draw) or QJ to me, because of the weak turn bet. 88 is possible with his motive on the turn being to keep his opponent in the pot because a flush or straight draw is drawing dead. I can see diamonds maybe, but his flop CR is what confuses me.

What was the villians read on you, the table speed, and your read on the villian, I think its impossible to say that you should call here without that information.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Results...

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think you can put him on QQ or A3 here. You can't just list all the hands that beat KJ and put him on that. QQ is unlikely because he would have reraised preflop, if he didn't, oh well, surprise. A3, does he CR bottom pair and then make a weak bet on the turn when it hits?

Really looks like either T9d (the big draw makes the CR on the flop more likely than just diamonds or just a straight draw) or QJ to me, because of the weak turn bet. 88 is possible with his motive on the turn being to keep his opponent in the pot because a flush or straight draw is drawing dead. I can see diamonds maybe, but his flop CR is what confuses me.

What was the villians read on you, the table speed, and your read on the villian, I think its impossible to say that you should call here without that information.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is LAG.

I called because I have a hard time folding when players take obscure lines such as this, as they usually seem to be bluffs.

He had J3.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:45 PM

Well, You'll certainly come across blinds calling with big pairs when faced with a button raise.

IMHO the hand seemed a simple read of the texture type of villians hand. I.E that he could beat TPTK. Does it matter that it was J3 rather then A3? The check raise on the flop was either a test for a pair against a button raise, or a legitimate hand. Having an OESD/flush draw would probably command a larger raise. The bet on the the turn is somewhat murky ... looks inviting for a flush draw/w pair or straight draw with flush draw, or just a weak follow through to a re-steal. But with the bet on the end in consideration of all the other betting screams his hand most likely improved on the turn or the river -- if he didn't just flop a set.

KJ against this action doesn't seem to attractive. At least you would agree to that, no?