Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 03-15-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Big Jump - From Party $100NL to $1000NL??

Need some advice here. I've been beating the Party NL100 game for about $35/100 for over 30K hands. I want to move up, but it seems like the 200/400/600 games have much lower average pots than I'm used to seeing (appx 25% of buyin). The NL1000 game is the only one that's running pot averages at 50% of buyin. I have two questions:

1. Is the NL1000 game significantly harder than the NL100 game?

2. Is a 30K bankroll enough to play the NL1000 gamne?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Big Jump - From Party $100NL to $1000NL??

Moving up directly to 1000NL would be a huge mistake.

There are some idiots there but it's a much different game. No longer are you pushing your TPTK against some fool with K7o.

30k is a big enough bankroll for a proven winning player at that level but to skip directly to 100NL is like suicide.

Yes, you might make it and win a few buy-ins - but unless you're ready for the pyschological impact of losing 2-3k instantly.. I'd stick to the 200 NL.

Blackjack
Old 03-15-2005, 11:03 AM

is the game significantly tougher?
what do you think? YES.
is a 30k BR ok?
i think so... but its close.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:03 AM

I haven't posted much lately, and not at all on this, so here goes.

The party games are great, obviously. I'm playing more there now than prima or pokerroom

The 600 may be more profitable for me than the 1000. I'm doing well in each, but often, I'm one of the best 1 or 2 players at the 600, this is rarely the case in the 1000.

The second tier of superstar NL players (not prahlad, other known pros, etc.) are in the 1000. They are tricky, they trap, they will rape you will slick when they catch you on AQ. They extract the maximum out of tptk and other marginal hands.

The "huge" pot averages are often reflective of this fact. If you want to move up, play the 400 or the 600. There are solid, straigtforward players and donks; rarely will you run into 3 superstars at the same table.

At the 1000, you'll see what appears to be a donk (vpip 40, pfr 20 over say 500 hands) who's making the fish comfortable and lulling the weak tight pokertrackes worshippers to sleep.

good luck
Old 03-15-2005, 11:05 AM

And if you do play the 1000, watch out for the aforementionded "maniacs" from places like Stockholm, Linkoping, Malmo, or Not Available.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:48 PM

dont move up. the players there are super aggressive and even the LAGish ones are still pretty good postflop.

not too many idiots playing these games after last week unfortunately.

play the games in between for a while to get used to that.

whats the rush? the av'g pot on the prima 50-100NL game looks great at times, but I aint rushing in.

btw $30k is plenty for a good player, but since you dont have much experiance there, who knows what a good BR may be?

I keep at least $25k on there, but its def. possible to win/lose $5k in two hours. would you be able to handle that mentally?

I was playing the 100NL games up til august and i would have thrown up if i lost 1500 on a hand.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:50 PM

You probably already know this, but Party considers uncalled bets to be part of the pot for the purpose of determining the average pot size. So sometimes tables will appear to have very big pots but really it's a lot of aggressive play which results in many large uncalled bets. As you move up the players get more aggressive so this will definitely impact the lobby stats somewhat. Also, some guy moving all-in for $5000 when his opponent only has $200 left will completely screw up the average pot size for that table since that extra $4800 is still counted as part of the pot. So I guess what I'm saying is, don't just look at the table stats and try to make judgements. You need to actually open up a few tables and see how the money is going into the pot -- are there people raising UTG with KJo and going to showdown with top pair? Or is there a lot of action coming from late-position players who are selectively applying pressure?

All that said though, there are many people playing in the 1000s that have flaws in their game at very fundamental levels. For example, I've seen one player who is supposedly winning quite a bit of money limp UTG+1 with Q2s. I've seen people limp UTG with A9s, minraise from MP with ace-rag, and there's even the occasional player that will play damn near every single hand. And that only covers the preflop leaks. You don't need to do anything special to win -- just identify the mistakes that people are making and take advantage.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:06 PM

The biggest mistakes in this game are from postflop play - these preflop mistakes aren't all that bad really (don't even have to be "mistakes") if they play well postflop.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:28 PM

A great way to prepare yourself for the mental and emotional swings you'll have to endure at that level is to actually live through the agony of losing 5K in two minutes. Take out five thousand from your account right now and send it to my home, look at your account again, and realize that I'm not giving it back... I promise I'll have my girl scream your name after I buy her expensive jewelry with your money. (that's only fair, really...)

Okay, seriously, you're clearly doing well with the game you're at, you've been saving your money, promote yourself. You've earned it. You probably could have made this bump 15 grand ago. The issue is that with every little hop you take toward the higher limits, you're against opponents that aren't going to call your raise every time, or get suckered in with an eight high flush to the nuts(well, usually). It's not that you're not better than the people there, even... it's understanding that sometimes moving up a level will lower your daily take. You might cream the 200 and level off at the 400. When this happens, go back to the 200 where you're making the most money for your time, improve your game to the point where you can cream the 400, and so on. Find your holes, get used to both using AND avoiding more complicated plays. Learn what new moves are used at these levels so that you can be prepared for their big brothers when you move up again.
-And I'll be expecting that check by the end of the week. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Keep playing player!
Ez-out
Old 03-15-2005, 06:52 PM

I don't know what the heck the others are saying, but that Party 5/10 NL game is the best of all sites I've seen (6 max that is, I don't know about the full handed ring game).

The only anomaly with that 5/10 NL game is that there tends to be more all-ins which means a higher variance in general.

Lawrence