Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Funniest Book Ever

[ QUOTE ]
Bored of the Rings" by the Harvard Lampoon has my vote

[/ QUOTE ]

The Harvard Lampoon was basically National Lampoon in embryo, so I'll chip in two from them that are really great. The best is the National Lampoon Sunday Newspaper, which was a parody of a mid-America Sunday paper from the tiniest details(classifieds, maniacal wife-killing cross-word puzzle designer make the answer to questions things that pertain to chopping your wife into pieces with an axe, hilarious sports page, front page, everything. One hell of a work; unfortunately they did it on newsprint so probably very few copies of it are still around, and as far as I know they never reprinted it. Damn shame because it's easily one of the funniest things I've ever read, and an absolute classic. It really would be a loss if this never gets printed again. The best writing ever done by what was by far the most influential comedy training ground in the last half of the 20th century.

There's also National Lampoon's High School Yearbook. That thing was funny as heck, and you first meet characters like Pinto there. Very funny parody of a high school yearbook. I think this was the one that got a review saying, "The best group writing since the King James Bible."