Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 08-30-2004, 04:39 PM

Default seven-card peek

From How to Play Stud Poker by George Henry Fisher (early 1930’s):

"Seven Card Peek is an offshoot of Stud which enjoys popularity among a comparatively small group of players. Instead of the customary five cards, each player may receive as many as seven – any five of which he may consider as his ultimate hand. The first, second and last cards dealt are hole cards, the intermediate four being dealt face up. Betting intervals are introduced after the third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh cards have been dealt – five intervals in all.

The chief feature of this game is that it is almost impossible to judge the value of an adversary’s complete hand. He may hold a full house without so much as a pair in sight; a flush with only two cards of a suit exposed; fours without a pair showing; and a royal flush without a single court card in evidence!
Seven Card Peek is enjoyed for its surprises, rather than for its contribution to 'scientific' poker. Nothing thrills a Peek player more than to be able to gleefully expose a straight flush to his overwhelmed opponents. Such hands are by no means rare, in Peek."
Old 08-30-2004, 06:28 PM

Default Re: seven-card peek

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing thrills a Peek player more than to be able to gleefully expose a straight flush to his overwhelmed opponents. Such hands are by no means rare, in Peek."

[/ QUOTE ]

I've probably played well over 1000 hours of high-only stud, and I've never had a straight flush. I've paid off a few, but I've never had one. I've had a couple playing stud/8, a couple playing Omaha/8, and several playing hold'em.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:55 PM

Thus recieving one should allow you to "gleefully overwhelm your opponents".

-Dimitri
Old 08-31-2004, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing thrills a Peek player more than to be able to gleefully expose a straight flush to his overwhelmed opponents. Such hands are by no means rare, in Peek."

[/ QUOTE ]

I've probably played well over 1000 hours of high-only stud, and I've never had a straight flush. I've paid off a few, but I've never had one. I've had a couple playing stud/8, a couple playing Omaha/8, and several playing hold'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

This surprises me Andy B. I've had a couple at 7stud high and I had a king high straight flush at stud8 (and I scooped!).
Old 08-31-2004, 09:06 AM

How good is the Five Card Stud advice? I play Five Card Stud and I have been wondering about what Fisher might have to say. Of course, I am acquainted with Morehead, Yardley, Zadeh et al's advice concerning 5stud but wondered if Fisher contained any nugget of gold in it.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:37 AM

al, i'll take a look when i get home... i have a bunch of older sources i'll look into as well... have not read the morehead yet but the yardley and zadeh ones are classics

have you read the jacoby or moss
Old 08-31-2004, 11:39 AM

i actually have never made a straight flush at stud hi either... only in stud 8, a beautiful straight flush to the 7 in diamonds

mike
Old 08-31-2004, 10:01 PM

I had a straight flush to the Eight in a $30/60 stud/8 hand. It was heads-up pretty early, and the monkey made some scraggly low, so I didn't make any money on it (got a handsome Canterbury Park visor for it, though). In a $4/8 stud/8 game, I had a steel wheel in five, and a lady bet into me on sixth. I scooped that hand. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2004, 09:13 PM

Default What is wrong with George Henry Fisher ?

Seat 1: RavenQ showed [Ts Qs As Ks 4s Tc Js] and won ($61) with a Royal Flush
Seat 4: Divv mucked [9c 5s 3d 3s 3c Ah Kd] - three of a kind, Threes