Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2004, 04:25 AM

Default Why is Andy Fox a mench?

I don’t like how I posed my last question, so I'll try to pose these better.

If we accept Sklansky's Moses and the Prisoners' Delema as a given, was Madalyn Murray O'Hair a fool?

If we accept Sklansky’s Moses and the Prisoners’ Delema as a given, is it a good idea for us to allow a judge to display the Ten Commandments in his court room.

If we accept Sklansky’s Moses and the Prisoners’ Delema as a given, and we believe Andy when he says he’s more or less and athiest, why is Andy Fox a mench?
Old 08-27-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Why is Andy Fox a mench?

[ QUOTE ]
why is Andy Fox a mench [sic]?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mensch is better.

As to your question- Ask Andy.

By the way, many people think along the same lines as Andy (including me), so what are they?

Voltaire wrote an essay about Moses. It is included in his book 'Philosophical Dictionary'. It is an interesting read.

Also, here is another interesting question: Was Moses an Egyptian?

-Zeno
Old 08-27-2004, 05:28 PM

"Was Moses an Egyptian?"

You are constantly reminding me of my university studies. I both love you and hate you for this.

-Michael
Old 08-27-2004, 07:01 PM

First, thanks for the compliment. It always gets me a bit scared when I see my name in a thread title. Given the one just started on Other Topics with your name in the title, you can see why. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

From David's thread, three sentences stand out to me (one by David, one by a respondent): "Religion is a way to convince people to behave virtuously when virtue is a long-term benefit while at the same time treachery is a short-term benefit. Some smart guy realized all this a few thousand years ago and took a vacation up a mountain. That's the real story."

The problem is that organized religion causes people to behave virtuously only towards fellow congregants. History has taught us what happens to anyone who dares to worship a bit differently, or even worse, who dares to be an infidel; it ain't pretty.

So, for me, the answers to your first two questions are no because they encourage true believers to not accept those who they view as untrue. [For those too young to know, Madelyn Murray O'Hare was a famous atheist.]

As for me, I don't think my behavior has anything to do with the longterm. I think it probably has to do with the examples my parents set for me (without talking about it) about the importance of the Golden Rule and (and here we get into some psychology) wanting to make sure people like me. David has alluded to this when he said I'm probably too nice to play poker optimally.

I had never heard of The Prisoner's Dilemma until David posted about it, so I'm just now starting to think about it.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is that organized religion causes people to behave virtuously only towards fellow congregants.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may argue that the Christian church has behaved poorly in the past and even present. But my church at least teaches me to behave virtuously to everyone.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You may argue that the Christian church has behaved poorly in the past and even present. But my church at least teaches me to behave virtuously to everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe yours does, but most don't. I had an acqaintance that was a real born-again. Once he found that I didn't hold his precious book as a "word of God", he didn't want anything to do with me. I was "doomed to the fire and brimstone" as he put it.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:53 PM

I am sorry to hear it. I think that some bad experiences have led many to reject all churches outright. That is unfortunate imo.

I hope you would not say that because some (or even most) Christians behave badly, therefore all Christians do. I wouldn't dare make a similar comment about atheists, agonistics, or people of other faiths.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we accept Sklansky’s Moses and the Prisoners’ Delema as a given, is it a good idea for us to allow a judge to display the Ten Commandments in his court room.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think so. Even if you think that Christian belief is good for us, that does not mean the 10C should be displayed. Many reasons here, but mostly displaying the 10C is not fair to people of other (or non) beliefs.

Xianity is not the American state religion, and frankly I would prefer that Xianity not be associated with a whole range of governmental actions. The church has enough to answer for already.

[ QUOTE ]
If we accept Sklansky’s Moses and the Prisoners’ Delema as a given, and we believe Andy when he says he’s more or less and athiest, why is Andy Fox a mench?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, with your stipulation:

Sklansky's story does not preclude non-religious people from behaving well. He only suggests that some people need to be enticed to do so.

I don't think you have to be a Christian to be nice, and the Bible doesn't say so either.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:14 AM

I posted something like this before, but it seems relevant to your point: were I walking down a dark alley and three brutish types were walking behind me, I'd feel better knowing they just came out of church than if they just came out of, say, the bowling alley.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:00 AM

Andy, I appreciate your saying that. It seems like you try hard to see both sides of the issue.

You really are a mensch. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]