Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 08-30-2004, 02:38 AM

Default Another etiquette/rules question

I folded pre-flop. Heads-up, board is
K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Not-old-can'tseeverywell guy turns over K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and says,"Two pair."
Old-can'tseeverywell guy says, "That beats my ace." And shows A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and just kind of flashes 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for best two pair, but doesn't realize it and mucks. No one else noticed or said anything, should I / could I have said something? The rules on the wall states that cards speak for themselves.

As a funny side note, (not that it caused me to not speak up for old-guy)twice he scooped up my small blind with his pot from the previous hand. I didn't say anything then either and double posted.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:18 AM

Default Re: Another etiquette/rules question

You need to better define what "flashes 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]" means.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:06 AM

I was seated to his left, and I am sure that I was the only one who saw it. By "flashes" I mean it was face-up, under the A . . . as in he was showing that he had the A, but in the process you could see that he had the 7 also. You know in the Super Bowl where that Justin guy showed that Janet lady's nipple? It was longer than that.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:40 AM

From my own personal experience, not long after I started playing poker...I committed the cardinal sin of calling another person's hand (in a low limit 2/4 game) when a player did the same flash thing thinking he lost the hand (he was sitting right next to me).

Needless to say, the guy that he now beat told me if this was a higher limit game, I may have gotten killed.

After that I have probably seen dozens of hands folded that would have either split or won and I don't say a word.

Interestingly, about 2 weeks ago I saw a guy fold about a $1000+ split pot in 40/80 when he called with A5s after ATo bet into him on the river and he just called. Board was AKJ4A, the guy looked at the other player's ATo and mucked. I just walked away astonished.

Lesson learned, if you aren't involved...let it go. Cards speak for themselves, but a player must turn them over and let the dealer call it...not another player.

That's just my .02
Old 08-30-2004, 09:43 AM

Its up to the dealer to make the call.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:08 AM

i would recommend not helping anybody in such a manner
its between the dealer, the player and the opponent. if you are one of those three, then say something.(unless you for some reason dont like the guy with K7 and have been looking for a way to piss him off/screw him, then say something regardless)
Old 08-30-2004, 10:27 AM

Did he at any point turn the cards face up on the table? Or was he merely flashing the Ace for all to see as he was mucking?
Old 08-30-2004, 01:30 PM

Keep your mouth shut, and you're weak for letting that guy snatch your blinds twice. What's wrong? Do you like getting robbed? Anyway, let me know where you play, so I can come through and kike your blinds.

-Dimitri
Old 08-30-2004, 01:44 PM

Cards speak, but only if they are turned up. If a guy doesn't table his cards face up, then there's not much you can do. In fact, it would be improper etiquette if you DID say something.

As to your small blind, this is not uncommon and is usually an accident. You absolutely should say something and get it back. IMO-