Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-27-2005, 12:13 PM

Default 77 out of position.

The turn I thought was a no-brainer. Does anyone dislike the flop 3-bet?

The flop raisor has had a pretty good run of cards recently, so it's tough to gauge his play. I've seen him calldown a bonifide LAG with AJ so he's at least paying attention on some level. The player in the middle of the 3-bet felt like overcards to me. Which is one of the reasons I did make it three.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: BigEndian is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $10.
<font color="#CC3333">BigEndian raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BigEndian bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BigEndian 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BigEndian bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, BigEndian folds.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

- Jim
Old 11-27-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: 77 out of position.

I really like flop 3-bet because that's what allows you to easily muck after the turn raise. If UTG+2 is raising you when you could well have a big pocket pair, he's either made his flush or perhaps was just waiting to pop you with a set (if he'd cold-call with 66 in that position).

Is the open raise w/77 UTG standard? Depending on the table, this is usually a muck for me though I'm not familiar with the Party games.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:16 PM

this looks good to me.

-DrG
Old 11-27-2005, 02:24 PM

perfect postflop imo. preflop is table-dependent and shouldn't be standard..
Old 11-27-2005, 02:26 PM

Looks good to me.

I've gotten a little paranoid lately as I start to see stuff like A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6x here raising for a free SD, but I think you have a good fold given the previous action.

I like the flop 3bet.

Surf
Old 11-27-2005, 03:05 PM

Definitely three-bet the flop. You are ahead here quite often and the raise is for value. Also, the guy in the middle is quite likely to have called with overcards, so you want to face him with two cold now to get him out and protect your hand. You can't wait and go for a check-raise on the turn because the flop raiser will check often, either because he has a draw and wants a free card or because he has a crappy pair and gets scared by a big card on the turn.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:43 PM

With no read, you can fold with impunity. You have one of the worst hands in the range of hands you are representing.

And the flop 3bet is ultra-standard.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:36 AM

yea you gotta 3 bet the flop to isolate and the turn fold looks fine
Old 11-28-2005, 07:09 AM

As the other replies have indicated there are 2 good reasons to 3-bet the flop.

1) You probably have the best hand so the bet is for value. I used to often just call here and then bet a non [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] turn but I am now sure that approach is wrong because of ....

2) The diamond is a ugh card! However, remember the 3-bet? When you now bet the turn that scare card can work to YOUR advantage. For all they know it is YOU who had the flush draw. The 3-bet gives a clear message that you have 'em beat and they should be worried. Assuming the turn raiser is not a lunatic, HE heard that message as well so you can fold.

t
Old 11-28-2005, 10:42 AM

Postflop looks standard.

Pre-flop i'm not too sure I don't play 10/20 10-handed. But in 6-max games that pre-flop raise is very standard.