Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 03:00 PM

Default \"Islam is a peaceful religion\"

Just reading Michael Savage's "Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder" and got some interesting text from the Koran. Just wondering what you guys think. I'm getting pretty tired of hearing people defend Islam...

"I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them" (Koran 8:12)

"So when you meet in battle those who disbelieve, then smite the necks until when you have overcome them...and [as for] those who are slain in the way of Allah, He will by no means allow their deeds to perish" (Koran 47:4)

"Allah's Apostle said, '...I have been made victorious with terror'" (Bukhari Vol. 4, Bk. 52, No. 220)

"Allah's Apostle said, 'Killing disbelievers is a small matter to us'" (Tabari IX:69)

The type of rhetoric that I'm speaking of is clearly defined by this quote:

"Islam is the fastest-growing religion in America, a guide and pillar of stability for many of our people" -Hillary Clinton.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: \"Islam is a peaceful religion\"

I can pull scriptures out of context from the Bible to support the same idea that Christianity/Judism is a violent religion - do you actually think you are actually establishing a point or pattern by reprinting out of context verses from the Koran that a misanthrope spoon fed to you thru his biased viewpoint?

at least TRY to come up with something original

RB
Old 08-02-2005, 03:14 PM

Put up or shut up. Come up with those quotes from the bible you're talking about ... then show us who is quoting them today as they are actually performing them, and advocating that others do likewise.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:26 PM

Default The Old Bait and Switch

You Can Not Defend the violence eposued in the Koran so you try attack another religion. Nice try but your attempt is hardly an intellectual argument.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:51 PM

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)
Old 08-02-2005, 03:52 PM

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)
Old 08-02-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: The Old Bait and Switch

Do you want more Felix?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:11 PM

Do you want more Felix?
I don't understand your message.
A poster attempted to defend the violence of Islam by attacking a different religion. It is the classic bait-and-switch tactic. I could care less if people attack Christianity but I like to see people make intellectually honest arguments.

Anyway, I'm not a christian. I'll let christians defend themselves.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:18 PM

"But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth: 17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee:"
Deuteronomy, 20: 16-17 (KJ)

The Bible is filled with references glorifying subjugation through violence and genocide. Mark Twain described the extermination of the Midianites this way: "There is noting in either savage or civilized history that is more utterly complete, more remorselessly sweeping than the Father of Mercy’s campaign among the Midianites. The official report does not furnish the incidents, episodes, and minor details, it deals only in information in masses: all the virgins, all the men, all the babies, all 'creatures that breathe,' all houses, all cities; it gives you just one vast picture, spread abroad here and there and yonder, as far as eye can reach, of charred ruin and storm-swept desolation; your imagination adds a brooding stillness, an awful hush—the huh of death."
Letters From Earth, XI
Old 08-02-2005, 04:26 PM

Whiskeytown wasn't "attacking" any religion. He pointed out that since Christian scriptures are subject to the same exact criticism as the Koran, then claiming that the Koran is relatively less "peaceful" than Chrisitianity on scriptural grounds is unreasonable. And I'd add: obviously more motivated by racism.