Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Hand

Over my skill level.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is kind of a funny hand, if SB has a set, why doesn't he lead out with it? If he has a monster draw, why doesn't he lead out with it?

[/ QUOTE ]come on. everyone plays every hand with zero imagination. i guess he doesnt read 2plus2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Low blow, but you know what I mean: what hand can you put the guy on if he plays it this way? It's not really standard for either of those holdings.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:59 AM

Because if I reraise his cr then if he decides to call it is almost certain I am drawing. If he was bluffing then he folds. I'd rather he keep bluffing--especially given my draw to the nuts.

-Jason
Old 03-26-2005, 03:03 AM

Your post, I think, has some gaps in its logic.

The key idea is that there are lots of hands he can have here.... Ones that kill the ones I have, and ones that are way behind (busted flush draw or pure bluff). If I raise, then he will fold everything I am ahead of (and possibly a Queen--so for that reason a raise might be good). In this spot I thought he was bluffing, so I called down. Raising someone who you think is bluffing usually has very little value when you have something that beats a bluff (compared to letting him keep bluffing when you are pretty sure he is bluffing).

-Jason
Old 03-26-2005, 03:06 AM

I like your analysis. I think given those stack sizes, if I put my aggressive opponent on a flush draw a flat call might be in order with a set. But in general, you are absolutely right--on that board, with maybe the exception of a hand like AA or KK, there are very few hands on the turn I flat call with.

It turns out the villain had an unimproved 77 so I win. It took me a while to pull the trigger on the river call, but the more I think about the hand the more trivial it becomes.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:19 AM

I think given the size of the pot, the nature of the board, and the blank on the river, once you called the turn you were pretty much pot commited on the river
Old 03-26-2005, 04:43 AM

I pretty much agree with you although you may be discounting the power of moving your opponent off a better hand on the turn. Why did you think he was on a draw. He called $25 out of position before the flop. I suppose he could have K10s.....But would he call with worse spades than that in this position? And if he does have K-10, it might be better to move all in on the turn anyway since a non spade A or 9 would be very bad for you on the river. An A is especially bad since it would make the hand so hard for you to get away from. Would you fold to the river all in if the 9 came instead of the blank? Your argument that you'd rather let him keep on bluffing is valid, but keep in mind that your opponent is reasonably likely to give up the bluff on the river anyway.

Anyway, i suppose if you can be fairly confident that your opponent is on very few or no outs (which is how it turned out) i like how you played it. But if you think that it's pretty likely he's on K-10 or queens, you should move in on the turn. (assuming you think there is a good chance he'll lay down queens). I'm still not sure why you were so confident he was bluffing..
Old 03-26-2005, 07:02 AM

I played an almost identical hand today. I had QK and the board was King-high on the turn w/ two flush draws. My opponent slightly underbet the turn and then on the blank river he pushed all-in for 2/3 pot. I called and was shown AK. Gotta love getting stacked w/ TP/2nd. That was just the culmination of a whole bunch of horrible play by me today.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:54 AM

that seems to be the downside of this line. although I think jason's reasons for calling the turn can be sound, you have to be reasonably sure someone will not play AQ like this not to raise the turn. the other nice thing about raising the turn is it provides cover for the times you do this with an actual hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 03-28-2005, 11:24 AM

If you going to call it down why not push. That seems to me to be the correct play. Maybe he might have laided down a queen and you still had plenty of outs.