Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Weird Preflop Situation, call or push? Commerce 3/5

this came on the end of yet another sucky session. table was amazing with one good player and 7 donkeys.

Villain is good, probably better than me. We've talked shop a few times and he's given me a few hints how to change my strategy when deep.

MP is some old random tilter. has three pieces of phil hellmuth wear on and the trademark oakleys/backwards hat. he's on buyin #5 and just awful. would be better served getting dental work with the money.

Preflop:
UTG posts blind raise to $15. Villain (~1100) calls, three call to me (~1000) on CO with AA, I make it $50, blinds and blind raise fold, villain makes it 120, MP (~280) calls, I...?

this a good spot for the preflop call with aces? I think i made the wrong decision here due to being stuck and just playing bad that day. I think i play worse when the table is better and i just can't make anythin happen. gak.

My Actions:
<font color="white"> I pushed, UTG folds, MP calls. oops. Actual results in a minute.</font>
Old 03-24-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Weird Preflop Situation, call or push? Commerce 3/5

Seems pretty obvious to me about pushing, what were you thinking about that made you 2nd guess?
Old 03-24-2005, 05:39 PM

Because the result was that he ended up only getting action from a $280 stack instead of the $1k stack he really wanted.

I'd call and give Villain a chance to bet into you, then push on the flop assuming a pot-sized bet from villain.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:40 PM

i feel inclined to push all-in here, but as a tight player, i like to save my chips in case "Sh*t" happens... so i'd probably just call it and see a flop or raise it substantially. if nothing shows up on the flop, wait and see what villain does, then i'll act accordingly from there.

but i am also curious y u second guess it? i'd push...
Old 03-24-2005, 05:41 PM

well, after a call the pot is $400 on the flop and i could probably get it in on an unders flop as a massive favorite. or at least get one PSB out of him if he holds something like AK. He took the time to limp/reraise in a pot that would very likely be raised, so i'd put him on at least TT-AA and AK.

I guess i just wanted the guy's whole stack, and i can't see him calling all-in here with anything but AA.

fim
Old 03-24-2005, 05:53 PM

Push, you'll have problems if you just call, like trying to start the dry side pot. Gunna be hard to start if your ahead, and easy to start if your behind.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:04 PM

im sorry but i dont really agree with the advice of just calling because you are a tight player, if you are tight-cautious then pushing minimalizes your risk as you are sure you are getting in as a big favorite. if you are letting villian see this flop by just calling then you still have like 900 behind you against the best player at the table. just calling gives you the best chance of losing your stack.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:11 PM

the shortie still has ~160 behind if i call, does that change anything?

fim
Old 03-24-2005, 06:19 PM

i didnt read the hand carefully, i did not realize the villian had limp re-raised, if you think he will bet pretty much auto-bet the flop then i think smooth calling might be most +EV with a little more variance, if you are on a limited bankroll i push but still smooth calling shouldnt be done because you are tight, cautious and dont wanna lose your stack but because you wanna play for your stack against the villian.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:22 PM

you have a perfect situation, a player who is deep, better than you, but now he only has 2 outs.

I take the chance of letting him catch up with QQ or KK to see if I can stack him after the flop.

he limp reraised and wants to play a big pot, you have the hand to do it. if you push, he's getting away from KK awful easy.

if the flop is low and ugly, just do your best I am not folding JJ look and take his money.