Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2005, 11:37 PM

Default What would he make the river raise with?

$2/$4 NL at Prima
2 limpers and then I raise to $20 with KK. Both limpers call.
I have $400, they have $400 and $350 or so.

The pot is $65. The flop is Q42 with 2 spades. Its checked to me and I bet $50. UTG calls and the other guy folds.

Pot is $115. The turn is another 2. He checks and I check behind.

Pot still $115. The river is a 6. He checks. I bet $50 and then he check raises all in. The flush didnt get there.

I checked behind at the turn so if he has a real hand you would think he has to make a value bet at the river right?

Do you call this? The raise is about $250 to me and the pot is about $465
Old 03-20-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: What would he make the river raise with?

looks like 35s, or maybe A2s. you really need to bet that turn.

really.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:54 PM

If he had A2s then betting the turn wouldnt help me much. he would have me beat.

If you had 53s in that hand and I checked the turn...you wouldnt bet the river? Wouldnt you be afraid I would check the river also?

Same thing with 44..or even AQ. It looks like a busted flush draw to me.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:56 PM

People play that to raises OOP?

But yeah, I second the advice to bet the turn and to check behind on the river if called.

I don't understand what you get by value betting the river though. The busted flush draw isn't going to call you, probably someone holding the queen, and definately anyone with the straight / trips.

I would fold to the river CR all in.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:06 AM

This is one of those 'all or nothing' situations.. he either has you destroyed or he has garbage.

What calls your $50 river bet? AQ? KQ? Seems like a thin value bet to me. And I think UTG picked up on that.

This does look very bizarre as I'd expect him to bet out a full house on the river. If he did whiff on a turn check-raise, how does he know you're going to bet the river? I think he has a hard time putting you on a hand as well, so I'm talking myself into a call as I write this post. Since you didn't bet the turn, he can't put you on an overpair, and if you do have a marginal hand like JJ or TT, why would you call an all-in? I think if someone were going to check raise the river with a big hand like that, they'd min-check-raise.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:07 AM

Here was my thinking. Most people who hit a set will call the flop bet and then check raise the turn.

He called the flop bet. I checked behind at the turn so he couldnt check raise me if he had a set, with the danger of course being that he might hit the flush for free. If he has a set or even AQ, he has to bet the river because hes afraid that I wont.

Also, I just rechecked the hand and I had it wrong. The flop was Q92 (2 spades)...the turn was another 2....the river was a 4.

So the final board is Q9224. There are no straights and the flush missed. I cant remember ever seeing someone play a hand this way when they can beat KK here.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I just rechecked the hand and I had it wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

well then people are just dumb for responding to the hand the way you posted it rather than how it actually happened.

also, again, you are posting in the wrong forum.

fim
Old 03-21-2005, 12:48 AM

Bet the turn...but the way you played it, call the river
Old 03-21-2005, 01:00 AM

Last I heard, $2/$4 was ok in this forum. Get a life moron and stop harrassing me for no reason.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:32 AM

I would be trapped into calling. For good or bad. When players in position check after raising pre-flop and then betting the flop .... weakness. Then again, he checks the turn, then check raises the river. I would suppose that somebody check raising the the turn and gets no bet, will probably value bet as you say.

I think you have to call here and I don't think it's that bad of a call because you should weakness and just may have induced a bluff check raise.

Probably would have been safer to make a blocking type bet on the river. More then $50, but less then all-in.