Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 03:00 AM

Default Re: 2/4 6max capped preflop with TT and questionable flop.

Seems like the consensus is that I was a spewing fish here.
Here's the end of the flop and the turn...

Flop: (13.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP folds.

Turn: (9.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero ???

Check and take the free card standard? I don't feel like I can bet him out of the pot.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:49 AM

This screams I'm on a draw. I think the chance he is on a flush draw is high enough where you need to bet here. Given the passive call by him on the flop, I bet/fold this turn, and re-evaluate the river otherwise.

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: (13.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP folds.

Turn: (9.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero ???

Check and take the free card standard? I don't feel like I can bet him out of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-03-2005, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

UTG checks, Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the turn, check the river.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:28 AM

I don't have the full history on me anymore, but I'll finish the hand from memory.

On the turn I checked through for the free card and a ten (my luckbox is shiny) fell on the river. UTG bet, I raised, and he called flipping over AKo.

Funny enough, UTG was the table coach. After the hand he actually complemented me on my play (pretty sure it was sincere on his part)...so that got me thinking.

That's the wonderful thing about poker, and why I posted this hand. At the time of the hand was finished, I felt like I was the "GREATEST POKAR PLAYAH EVAR!!!" Then after my session was over, I started thinking a little more about this hand thinking, "Damn, I was a spewing LAG here."

This is why I made this post. Sometimes it's more valuable to post hands that you think you played well (but didn't) so that you can get smited. Otherwise, I'd keep making these plays in the future thinking it's the right thing to do.

A lot of times it's suggested to newcomers to post hands where they aren't sure about their play. That's good. I think, though, that it's even better to post plays (that may have been tricky) where you did feel you played it fine. Even more to be learned in those situations. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2005, 11:36 AM

As much as a mistake as raising the turn was, checking the turn is an even bigger mistake.
Assuming you raised the flop to push him off KK-JJ...
Very few players will bet/fold on the flop with these hands. Some players will however, bet/call the flop and check/fold the turn.
Table coach did not play his AK very well.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:39 AM

UTG couldn't have played his hand any worse if he tried to on purpose.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As much as a mistake as raising the turn was, checking the turn is an even bigger mistake.
Very few players will bet/fold on the flop with these hands. Some players will however, bet/call the flop and check/fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, this is was I was going to say as well. If you're taking this line to try and fold KK-99 as you said, very few players are going to fold those hands right then and there on the flop, especially with a decent sized pot like this one, even when they should. Plus, if I were villain here, I would have put you on exactly what you had when you checked the turn. The villain's flop call was a good sign - if you're trying to represent an ace, you certainly have to follow through with it on the turn. If he calls the turn, you can give up on the hand (assuming the ten didn't fall) and check/fold the river, although he'll probably check behind anyway.

So yeah, I advocate either folding the flop or raising the flop and leading the turn. and if three bet on the flop, either fold right then or call and fold the turn if no ten falls, depends on how lucky you're feeling!
Old 11-03-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As much as a mistake as raising the flop was, checking the turn is an even bigger mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

FMP