Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 01:38 AM

Default Tricky AKs hand

Sorry in advance if this is some basic stuff - but I'm mostly a limit player but I won a freeroll sat into the pacific 50K, and this hand came up...

UTG+1 has about 1400 chips
MP2 and hero have about 3500 chips
Blinds are 50/100

UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to 300, folds to MP2 who calls, folds to me on the button with AsKs. I call.

Flop is Ad Js 9s. UTG+1 bets 200, MP2 raises to 400, hero reraises to 900. UTG+1 folds, MP2 pushes. Hero...
Old 10-22-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Tricky AKs hand

BTW, reads - UTG+1 is weak tight, MP2 seems pretty solid and has been betting big and taking down some pots uncontested.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:48 AM

Your easily getting the odds to call based on the flush draw alone if I math is right... 3*300 + 200 + 400 + 900 + 2800 = 5200 / 2300?? (I think) and thats well over 2 to 1. Vs AJ/A9 where a king (and 3 jacks vs A9) gives you even more outs. Plus he could have 2 spades w/ a huge semi bluff where your absolutely dominating him. Or he could have a set. The main point is.... your given good enough odds to chase the flush let alone any other potential holdings that could give you more outs.

I'm not the greatest tournament player imo, if anyone else has nething to add to this or maybe change what I type feel free because I'd also be interested in hearing other's opinions. I hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:49 AM

Hero pushes flop and yells "pinga grande!!"
Old 10-22-2005, 05:58 AM

What do you guys put villain on?

Well, here was my thought process - I'm clearly beaten right now. If villain is willing to push on top of a reraise, he has to think that I'm gonna call for sure. So I highly doubted that he was semi-bluffing spades and that point.

Villain knows that I have at least a good ace, so I also doubt that he's pure bluffing here either. so as I said I'm beaten. However, I have a pretty strong 12-outer against any 2 pair (3 kings, 9 spades, right?). A set is the only hand that I'm in real trouble against, since the king outs are nada, and he has as many boat outs (6 to pair the present board and 3 runner runner board pair outs) as I have flush outs. However, given the aggressive nature of MP2, and with no small cards on the board, I figured that he would have raised preflop with any PP that would have hit a set on this board. So I put him squarely on 2 pair and called.

Needless to say, villain had JJ and busted me. I was doing really well up to that point, and initially I was pissed at myself for what seemed like a horrible call (I should have known he had a set, yada yada) but in retrospect, was it really that bad?

It's amazing how much aggressive play can do for you. If a clearly weak-tight guy made that same play, I would have dropped AK like a bad habit. Hmmm.