Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Bad beats shouldn\'t bother me

I have a thorough mathematical understanding of the game. I understand pot odds, card distributions, have taken university courses in stats that discuss bayes theorem, and I took a whole course last year devoted to game theory.

When the idiot calls a turn cap cold with a gutshot and gets there it doesn't bother me.

When he does it again and again, it's kinda annoying.

By the 4th or 5th time I get beaten bad, I'm ready to throw the computer across the room.

Do other mathematically aware and solid players still get frustrated?

Assuming we all understand that we made all the Sklansky bucks, why?
Old 06-02-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Bad beats shouldn\'t bother me

you sound pretty intelligent, so excuse me if this sounds elementary, but are you properly bankrolled for the limits you play? My experience has been that the hurt a bad beat(or a series of them) puts on me is directly proportional to my bankroll, or my single day loss threshold. The more "over" bankrolled I am, the less the beats hurt. I know the general rule is 300BB's, but I prefer to be between 1000-1500BB.....this way your so overrolled, that it minimizes the emotion.
As I'm sure you know, the only thing that matters is correct decision making.....results will work themselves out in the longrun.
If your getting this mad, it's one of 2 things: 1) Losing the $ is hurting you....adjust limits/bankroll accordingly, or, 2)Your so competitive, that losing drives you crazy, esp. when you "should" win....this seems like more of an anger management issue.....need to work on relaxation techniques, and when you feel this anger build, log off and cool down for a few days....good luck
Old 06-02-2005, 06:06 PM

always remember gooosse fffrrraaabbbaaaaa
Old 06-02-2005, 06:46 PM

I generally keep a bankroll of between 800-1000 BB. I started playing for a living (PP 15-30, and a recent positive foray into the UB 30-60) about 2 months ago; I've never played real heavy duty before, I was playing 1500 hands a week. Now I'm playing 4000.

Two > 100 BB downswings. The first i handled well. The second approached 200 BB and I KNOW at least 50 was due to tilt. I want to know why I'm still tilting. I know better than to be results-oriented, but I still do tilt.

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Truth be told, the money itself isn't even that important - I have more than enough outside my actual playing bankroll to keep me going for at least a year.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:40 PM

The bad beats always hurt. Especially if they are occurring in a relatively short time span. Remember that any amount of BB's as a bankroll, is just about statistical probablity, which we all know doesn't necessarily mean anything. You are LIKELY to rebound within your bankroll of 300+ BBs (hell 800-1000BB sounds very safe) but the nature of probability and chance itself, means that you very well could be on the losing end of bad beats for a long time, or even infinitely. I'm not saying this will happen, but be prepared mentally for longer losing streaks than the "statistical average."
Old 06-02-2005, 09:38 PM

Look, just consider the fact that you're in it for the long run. THE LONG RUN. Obviously all of us get mad if we get a bad beat dealt to us, but you gotta forget about it for the next hand. You know very well that if that player were to draw to a gutshot every time and the pot odds weren't in his favor, then you make money. So keep that in mind, call the other guy an idiot, and don't get mad.

If you do get mad, take a break, realize that you are a longterm winner and the other guy is a longterm loser, and go back.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:06 PM

The key is not trying to prevent yourself from getting mad, but trying to prevent your being mad from affecting your play.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:15 AM

Gamblor, take a coupla days off. Regroup. That's all it takes. Nice work on playing mid/high stakes like that.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a thorough mathematical understanding of the game. I understand pot odds, card distributions, have taken university courses in stats that discuss bayes theorem, and I took a whole course last year devoted to game theory.

When the idiot calls a turn cap cold with a gutshot and gets there it doesn't bother me.

When he does it again and again, it's kinda annoying.

By the 4th or 5th time I get beaten bad, I'm ready to throw the computer across the room.

Do other mathematically aware and solid players still get frustrated?

Assuming we all understand that we made all the Sklansky bucks, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have also realized that it's funny when bad beats bother me because I have a pretty good idea general idea of the math, and I KNOW that's it's gonna happen from time to time. What I found has helped me remain calm is more ME than my knowledge about the math, by that I mean that I have to just not get upset. Also studying philosophy ideas such as stoic philsophy and buddhist philosophy will help you remain calm and not get upset.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:57 AM

Happened to me last night. One insane bad beat after another. Once in a while, it's ok, but I have to agree that when you have 4 or 5 in a row, it does start to mess with your mind. You almost expect to lose, start seeing monsters when you have the best hand, etc.

I resisted tilt the best I could and tried to play soundly enough to mitigate some of losses and was able to get about half of it back (not that session results mean anything anyway) It could have been a lot worse. What else can you do but try to stay calm and focused on the next hand?