Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 03:31 PM

Default keep pt database in internal or external hd?

Hi, I just got a 160 gig external hd. For speed, should i keep my pt database on the internal or external, or does it not make a difference.

Both are 7200 rpm.

External is 480 Mbits/s transfer rate (usb 2.0), says memory cache is "2MB or greater," whatever the hell that means.

So should I keep and use this drive or would an internal (maybe 10,000 rpm?) be way faster. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: keep pt database in internal or external hd?

Try the forums at www.pokertracker.com . Pat usually answers fairly quickly.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:27 PM

k, i'll try that if nothing here pans out. thx
Old 12-01-2005, 04:45 PM

If it supports Firewire, use that. It's somewhat faster even though the max bandwidth is lower, trust me. If you're running it through USB 2.0, i'd say it's faster internally. If you're running through Firewire, i'd say it's about even. But it won't get better than the internal drive, unless that's unusually slow of course.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:45 PM

Not 100% and Im too lazy to check but I think that USB2 is actually faster than firewire. If its not faster than its really close. That's why firewire got blown out of the market.

Its definetly going to be slower than interal but not by much. Id just try it out and see if you can notice that its slower. If you use multiple PC's which Im assuming you do then I think using the external drive is a great idea.

**Make sure that any PC you connect it to has USB 2. USB 1 is about 200-400 times slower...seriously it will be way too slow. If you bought the PC in the last 2-3 years they should be USB2

Getting a new 10K RPM drive just for PT would seem to me like a waste of money. Your not going to see a difference using PT.