Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 11-29-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: 99.8% to win on the flop

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really can't believe that you think that there could possibly be something wrong with capping the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't you see the SF possibilities? What else would be calling against quads but a SF draw? duuuuhhhh. Besides, who would ever cap without the nuts? You gotta be able to lay this hand down on the river if you ever want to be a good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what he means is, there's nothing wrong with capping the river just like there's nothing wrong with flushing a handful of $20 bills down the toilet. It's your money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly, quads are really just barely worth a crying call once three cards to an SF come. My quads always get cracked too, especially bottom quads. For a while I would just fold them because someone always rivers the SF.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why was the river capped? HU is usually unlimited raises. I call BS on this story.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming this is online/not crypto

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. This type of beat could only happen on-line! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really can't believe that you think that there could possibly be something wrong with capping the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't you see the SF possibilities? What else would be calling against quads but a SF draw? duuuuhhhh. Besides, who would ever cap without the nuts? You gotta be able to lay this hand down on the river if you ever want to be a good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what he means is, there's nothing wrong with capping the river just like there's nothing wrong with flushing a handful of $20 bills down the toilet. It's your money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly, quads are really just barely worth a crying call once three cards to an SF come. My quads always get cracked too, especially bottom quads. For a while I would just fold them because someone always rivers the SF.

[/ QUOTE ]

People who haven't read Theory of Poker usually don't know how to play quads against a possible straight flush. Sklansky advises that a stud player with (T9)JJJJ(5) should just check and call on the river against a player with 2 straight flush cards showing, since he can only beat a bluff. The OP really needs to learn the fundamentals.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a joke right.... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People who haven't read Theory of Poker usually don't know how to play quads against a possible straight flush. Sklansky advises that a stud player with (T9)JJJJ(5) should just check and call on the river against a player with 2 straight flush cards showing, since he can only beat a bluff. The OP really needs to learn the fundamentals.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not serious, are you? Big difference between a quad hand in stud where the quads are all up cards and a holdem quad hand with 2 in the pocket which is well disguised.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who ever jokes about poker, this is no laughing matter
Old 11-29-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a joke, right?
Old 11-29-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i know this is dumb, but hey, they made a forum for it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

me 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

villain j [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Flop 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet (my table image is that i'm a moron at this point, one i like to have when i make a hand) I've been running over this guy for a while and he's been fighting back lately. Let'em fight [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

villain calls

turn 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I bet, he raises, i cream myself and 3bet, he calls.

river Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I am so happy at flopping quads it never even crosses my mind that they might lose, i'm not even looking at the board.

It's capped, i lose. I was honestly just so amazed i didn't tilt one little bit. I actually think it's kinda cool for some reason. Oh well, he took a 107 dollar pot from me, good times.

Oh yeah, so I plugged it into a hold'em calculator, and he wins this hand 1 out of every 500 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a bad beat. See my post HERE explaining why.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not serious, are you? Big difference between a quad hand in stud where the quads are all up cards and a holdem quad hand with 2 in the pocket which is well disguised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point about the stud hand being poorly disguised, but in the HE hand Hero has much lower quads (9 ranks!) than in the stud hand, so in that way I think the strength of the two hands even out.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:44 PM

In the stud hand, you're opponent is 100% sure you have quads so you have 0% chance of getting paid off by a bet. Not so in the HE hand.