Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-20-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: My PT stats - comments?

[ QUOTE ]
I understand what you are saying, crunchy - and I do what you suggest. But, I think general critique like Brett and the others gave will help me get an idea about overall bad habits that I might have developed.

[/ QUOTE ]
The reason I make the comments I do is because it regularly seems (in these stats posts) that playes are trying to "mold" their games to fit certain statisical parameters. This is not going to make you a winning player. There are more factors than how many hands you play PF, or how often your steal blinds or raise PF. Many of these additional factors - such as game selection, hand reading, "reading" your opponent, etc... carry much more weight when analyzed against your winrate than any statistic PT provides.

A perfect example of my point is the plethora of losing TAGs I see day in and day out at the Party 2/4 game. Sure these guys fit the stat-parameters and they get their little green$$bag icon - but they suck! And I see the semi-loose/aggressive players constantly beating up on what is really a weak-tight style of poker - even though PT shows otherwise.

Don't make decisions to fit into a particular statistical model - just make the best decision you can at each moment in time and accept what statistical model that you fit in as a result of those attempts at good decision making.

Good Luck!!
Old 10-20-2005, 01:32 PM

Those TAGs almost certainly dont lose. But yes, stats suck.

- Jim
Old 10-20-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a good experiment for you to do. Is to try and play 1000 hands tighter than even the ssh book. Can you play like a rock? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you. Now that I am ready to get "serious" I sure am going to try. When I multi table it is easier for me to be tighter. The problem (for me) when I multi table is that I don't pay enough attention to the table texture. It is all about discipline (which I am slowly learning) This should all come in time. Good suggestion.

I do have one follow-up question. I play on Party. I also know it is not a good idea to look at short term stats. But, I thought it might be a good idea to look at my session stats when I finish a session and see my VP$P. Thoughts? Also, if I do this - does Party count the VP$P the same as PT? I thought PT doesn't count BB, yet Party seems to.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:45 PM

Right. I am starting to get an overall feel for the game. I seem to learn something new every session.

Another example of something that I am working on is table selection - and after I find a "good" table not to be married to it. Often, I stay to long when the whole table has changed to solid players and it is a while before I get up and leave. Or sometimes if I lose at the table, I stay too long trying to win back dollars lost at that table instead of either taking a break or simply moving tables (or worse yet play too many hands to try to get even.)

I post this reply not only for myself but if others are reading this, they can learn from my bad habits.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:21 PM

One thing you are probably doing too much with that VPIP is cold-calling preflop. Look at all the hands in your PT database that you have cold-called with (ccpf).

Then go through and replay all the hands to see the situations where you should NOT have cold-called, but you SHOULD have folded or 3-bet. Then see where the board did not hit you hard enough and you took your hand too far.

You can also gain from playing a couple sessions with a 'different style' than you usually play.

Get super-super tight and see how it works for you...more importantly see how your opponents react to your style:

Notice what type of players start making moves against you cuz they see you as weak-tight. Notice what type of players respect your bets/raises and let you take pots uncontested.

Get LAGgy for a couple sessions (caution...do this at a limit where your bankroll can sustain a little variance....and make sure you are not at a table full of TAG's!). You will be amazed at the kind of stunts you can pull and get away with. Of course you are going to 'get caught' occasionally...don't be afraid of looking silly.

I am not suggesting you step out of your current A-game for long, but that you experiment a little to help yourself get inside your opponents heads. Once you've experienced a few different moves, you have a better chance of recognizing them from the other side.

Another thing you can do with PT is play through all your premium hands to get a feel for WHERE you are winning and losing money with them. Consider that if you are going to raise pf with AK 100% of the time, you are going to be in a bunch of pots that you will win and many more that you will lose. Go through and group them into the different scenarios...flop hits but somthing better is out there....flop misses but you hit later in the hand, etc...if you can improve your expectation with AK alone you will improve your bottom line.

Anyway, that's a few ideas for how to use your PT data to help you improve beyond looking at the overused 'stats'.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, I think general critique like Brett and the others gave will help me get an idea about overall bad habits that I might have developed .

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing to do now is post hands that fall into these "trouble" spots and find out if you're playing it wrong.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4) I had just recently read a few threads to this point. I think as I tighten up this will help this aspect of my game. The fact that I have been playing too many hands probably also aided in my lower % of raising (can’t call so many any hands and raise too). I think the two should start to improve together (and thus my overall win rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't necessarily true... PFR is not relative to your VPIP - simply lowering VPIP will not increase your PFR. You need to limp less and also raise with the better hands you used to limp with.