Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: To believe or not to believe - that is the quesiton.

[ QUOTE ]
Please, we are looking for guidance from you. Get back to us ASAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Is the deaf guy asking the blind guy for directions here, or the other way around?

I do not worship anything. My opinion is that early humans invented gods in order to make sense of their chaotic environment.

I think it is impossible to prove that any or all gods do not exist, but the particular mythologies I have seen all seem a bit absurd to me. Thus I don't worship anything.

I state with confidence that god does not exist. I think the meaning of life is life itself, and nothing more (why do we need more?). I am not dispirited by the knowledge that life is the product of random forces, an aberration, an isolated pattern found in a random distribution. Life is (or puts on a good show of it), and that's enough for me.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought Atheists believe (think) there is no god. I also was under the impression that Agnostics either think there is a possibility of one in some form or another or don’t take any stance.

This is minor?

[/ QUOTE ]

RJT, I think this is a false target. In general they believe 1) there is no reason to believe in god and 2) that they cannot prove god doesn't exist.

The rest is minor because its essentially a different use of language.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying there are no atheists - only agnostics?

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's what agnostic means then yes (bit reluctant to give a straight yes because we've had trouble agreeing on a definition in the past)

chez
Old 10-07-2005, 09:32 PM

From Webster’s New World Dictionary (handiest one):

Atheist: rejects all religions * and denies the existence of God.
Agnostic: a person who thinks it is impossible to know whether there is a God or a future life…**

* I think we are all agreed with the religion part here.

** We believers (least I do) realize this to. Guess we believers are agnostics too. We just chose to believe certain things that we know are impossible to know.

So, now that we have proven that all our differences are minor, what do we talk about on the forum?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought Atheists believe (think) there is no god. I also was under the impression that Agnostics either think there is a possibility of one in some form or another or don’t take any stance.

This is minor?

[/ QUOTE ]

RJT, I think this is a false target. In general they believe 1) there is no reason to believe in god and 2) that they cannot prove god doesn't exist.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's what agnostic means then yes (bit reluctant to give a straight yes because we've had trouble agreeing on a definition in the past)

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

I am an atheist in the same way that I am an a-unicornist. I'm not agnostic about unicorns and likewise for a concept for which there can be no proof.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is minor?

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe like different denominations in my Religion.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From Webster’s New World Dictionary (handiest one):

Atheist: rejects all religions * and denies the existence of God.
Agnostic: a person who thinks it is impossible to know whether there is a God or a future life…**

* I think we are all agreed with the religion part here.

** We believers (least I do) realize this to. Guess we believers are agnostics too. We just chose to believe certain things that we know are impossible to know.

So, now that we have proven that all our differences are minor, what do we talk about on the forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

I get the impression that some folk believe there is a reason to believe that there is a god.

chez
Old 10-07-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is minor?

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe like different denominations in my Religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, just like it except none of the made up bullsh!t.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:39 PM

Far be it from me to call one an atheist rather than agnostic (or vice versa). Sounds like you guys use the words synonymously. Learn something new everyday.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:42 PM

wiki:

"Atheism, in its broadest sense, is characterized by an absence of belief in the existence of gods, thus contrasting with theism. This definition includes both those who assert that there are no gods and those who have no beliefs at all regarding the existence of gods. However, narrower definitions often only qualify the former as atheism, the latter falling under the more general term nontheism.

Although atheists often share common concerns regarding evidence and the scientific method of investigation and a large number are skeptics or humanists, there is no single ideology that all atheists share. Additionally, many atheists are not entirely irreligious; there are atheists who are religious or spiritual despite their lack of belief in gods.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, just like it except none of the made up bullsh!t.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had the passion for my religion that you have against religion. Ironic.