Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 10-08-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: To believe or not to believe - that is the quesiton.

[ QUOTE ]
Apathetic agnosticism

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, chez, I thought of this first (see my post above) . Man, I guess there is nothing new under the sun.

RJT
Old 10-08-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have always defined an atheist as one who says there is no possibility of a god and an agnostic as one who is not sure.

You made the following statement - Can we agree on this: That to believe that “there is absolutely no possibility of a God” is as “silly” a thinking as how agnostics view what believers think (them silly) about their religion?

I do not agree. Silly or not, whether I can prove it or not, I don't care - “there is absolutely no possibility of a God”. This has been debated endless times here - that since it can't be 'proven' that there is not a god then you can't be certain there isn't one. Well, I for one am certain. Anyone else certain or am I the only one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Cab, I don’t believe any of the stances are silly. But, for those who throw taggers at religion, I suggested they throw ‘em at folk like you, too. That was my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does sound silly but it doesn't look any different in meaning to all the other non-theist folk. There's a recognition that he doesn't know there's no god and that he has no reason to believe there is a god.

What actual form does this certainty take, is it any difference to those who say thay aren't certain because they require proof for certainty.

chez
Old 10-08-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never been called Cab before. I try not to throw 'taggers' at religious people though I must admit I do not understand them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, likewise.

At any rate Cab, I think you need not worry. Especially after the moderator's post regarding big game hunting. We the Big Fish (believers), you (atheists) garnishment. I don't see 'em coming after you for dinner anytime soon.

RJT
Old 10-08-2005, 06:16 PM

Now that has the making of a great poll!
Old 10-08-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now that has the making of a great poll!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for you guy - check the new poll.