Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 05-18-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Horrible set hand. QQ.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Button ($223.1)
SB ($200.55)
BB ($204.2)
UTG ($199.7)
MP ($308.7)
Hero ($279.1)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, Button calls $10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: ($25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, Button calls $10.

Turn: ($45) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, Button calls $20.

River: ($85) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, (CONVERTER SCREWS UP HERE)
Villain re-raises all-in, Hero folds.

Final Pot: ~$290

I know I shouldve bet more with all the draws. I know its horrible but what do I do when I screw up the previous streets when you come to the river?
Old 05-18-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Horrible set hand. QQ.

I check. I definitely would have bet more on previous streets, but you know that. By checking you tell him that you fear the straight, and if he has it, you're probably going to get to see a cheap show down because he'll value bet you. I'd check/call any reasonable bet (because there are a lot of hands that you beat) and if he pushes hard, fold and find a better place for my money.

It's also player dependent. If your opponent sees your river bet as a blocking bet, he could push with any two cards. Very difficult without a read. I check to show "weakness" and call a reasonable bet.

Another viable alternative is to bet 2/3 of the pot (telling him that you still like your hand) and fold to a raise. Again, this is entirely villain dependent.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:28 PM

Your bets make you look weak so he could be coming over the top with a lot of hands you beat (two pair, busted flush draw, etc.) I think his most likely holding is J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]X[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and he missed the flush but hit his gutshot. I'd fold without a terrific read on villain.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:32 PM

Was that a blocking bet on the river? I'm not sure I would have done that, only because I'd be much too scared here, and would fold to a bet/raise showing any strength at all. Looks like you were thinking the same thing... I'd suggest checking the river and living with the small chance of being bluffed out. Good fold though, you were clearly beat.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:38 PM

Villian would call a 5x BB raise pre-flop with that?

(note - I don't play 6max)
Old 05-18-2005, 01:05 PM

Well, we aren't given any read on villain so its hard to say. From some opponents, I wouldn't be surprised to see AJs or KJs, maybe even QJs or JTs.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:16 PM

Fair enough, but wondering if anyone thinks it's odd he reraised his last $180 into a $115 pot?

If you had any of those hands (a J) would you bet this much? I'd be raising something that would get called as since Hero open raised preflop I'd put him on 2 high cards or any pocket pair.

This seems a bit funny to me