Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 10:25 AM

Default 5-10 full ring -- flop 2nd nuts

I have been at the table for about 30 minutes. I have a TAG image. The only hand that I have shown down was AA. Flop had an A and I led the betting.

CO in this hand seems reasonable. He has $800. Other Villains are weak. I have the CO covered.

Preflop

MP limps. CO limps. I limp on the Button with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB raises to $40. All call.

Flop

K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked to me. I bet 1/2 pot. BB and MP fold. CO calls.

Turn

T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Check-check

River

5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

CO checks. I bet $300.

I know that I played this hand strangely. Does anyone see any merit in this line? I'll post my thoughts later.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: 5-10 full ring -- flop 2nd nuts

I'm trying my hand at some of these cash games posts in a desperate attempt to not suck at poker.

I'm trying to put CO on a hand that he would check/call the flop with. He'd lead top pair no? Seems like a flush draw, I don't see any reason not to bet the turn.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:17 PM

I think he could be calling your flop bet with the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], so betting the turn would be best. Many players will call a 2/3 pot size bet to see the river. Then fire again when a blank hits on the river.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:27 PM

The stop and go isn't too bad if you don't pair or hit a heart because you can get a lot of action on the river from a worse hand but i'm more a fan of playing straight up.
I'm slightly overbetting the flop (5/4ish) because it gives action back to you from smaller flushes and usually sets. You'll also get people putting you on top pair or who think they'll bluff you out on a later street and give you action that way. It's also a hand i'll get all my money in with, so i don't fear any big raises. I'd fire 2/3 on turn and maybe another overbet on the river, maybe another 2/3 for value. I'm a 6-max-only player though.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:01 PM

If your opponent has the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] here, which seems like his most reasonable holding, it looks like you are missing out on a lot of value by not betting the turn, and giving him a free card to beat you. If he has a hand like top two, he is looking to show it down cheaply and you are helping.

I think your line here does a good job disguising your hand, but to what end? Do you expect him to bluff at the river after you checked behind on the turn?
Old 07-02-2005, 03:19 PM

If my opponent has the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], he only has six outs. All things considered, I of course would prefer not to give a free card here, but it isn't a disaster. Villain in this hand will not call a pot-sized bet on the turn with only the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I was hoping to induce a bluff on the river if the had the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or in the alternative, represent a bluff on the river as if I held the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Old 07-02-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If my opponent has the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], he only has six outs. All things considered, I of course would prefer not to give a free card here, but it isn't a disaster. Villain in this hand will not call a pot-sized bet on the turn with only the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I was hoping to induce a bluff on the river if the had the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or in the alternative, represent a bluff on the river as if I held the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

On the flop the pot was $160. You bet $80 and he called so its $320 at the turn.

I think everyone agrees that he most likely has the Ah. You checked the turn in hopes that it will induce a bluff on the river if he missed.

How much do you think he would bluff? $200?
Why not get the $200 from him right now on the turn? Surely he'll pay at least $150.

Id rather have $150 almost every time instead of nothing most of the time and $200 or so that he might bluff maybe 1 time in 4 or something like that.

Not too mention, when a heart does hit you lose the whole pot. And what about the times a heart hits and he bets pot with NO heart and you fold?

I dont think theres any need to out-trick yourself here. He might even have a small flush and be waiting to check raise the turn.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:13 PM

Your play is great when it works and you wouldn't have gotten a call on the turn, but you also loose the chance to play a huge pot against a set or smaller flush.

You save if you are up against the nuts and plan on only calling on the river.