Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: 10-20 NLH -- Min raise followed by a check min raise?

I agree; read SS, even Brunson would pay this man off LOL
Old 09-27-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Min-check-raise on the flop is usually a bluff / sign of weakness. I would go ahead and call the bet, then since you have position on him, let him bet into you, and raise him on the turn. If you are more on the conservative side, go ahead and call him down. But I prefer raising rather than calling. Also your hand seems hidden here, so he may think his KQ or KJ or even JJ is probably good here.

Here's raising you for information when it's cheap. Remember, always raise the flop for information when it's cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is horrible advice. A min check raise in a raised pot is NOT a bluff or sign of weakness. A min check raise in a raised pot is almost always a set.

Why would anyone min check raise in a raised pot as a bluff? He knows full well that youre not going to fold for $250 in a $1050 pot with that preflop action. Hes building the pot with a monster. If he was bluffing, he would check raise much more so that you might fold. A bluff with no folding equity is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ice,

Given the preflop action, I take it you are putting him on KK. Are you certain enough to fold the flop?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A min check raise in a raised pot is NOT a bluff or sign of weakness. A min check raise in a raised pot is almost always a set.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-27-2005, 05:05 PM

I already know what he had so my analysis doesnt hold much water, but when i read the hand (before reading the results) I thought he had KK.

Reraising preflop usually narrows the hand posibilities down. Reraising the minimum preflop usually narrows it even further to AA / KK. Of course he didnt have AA/ KK this time, but when you add the preflop action to the flop action, hes going to have you beat almost every time.

Now, could I fold it knowing all this? It would be very very tough, but Ive played enough hands just like this one to know that folding is correct. And Ive played for a full stack here and lost enough times to wish I had folded.

I wouldve prevented it though. Not 3 betting with AA preflop is fine, but when you raise and get min reraised, he will have KK a large mayority of the time, so I wouldve probably pushed in preflop. You will get called alot of the time, and you wont have to second guess yourself when the flop is really ugly...like KK8 or QJT or something like that.