Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 03:37 AM

Default I\'m new to MTTs

About 100 people to the payout.
Limit Hold'em $200/$400 stakes (blinds $50/$100)
Villain is VPIP 38.5 after 19 hands and is PFR about 16.
Villain has $5128
Hero has $1130

Party Poker (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Villain bets, Hero...

The reason I ask is because I am almost certain he has Ax and I am behind. Yet, folding will leave me with so few chips, am I correct to just go in and hope he is bluffing?

I am an experienced limit player who is new to MTTs, so please be gentle. Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Re: I\'m new to MTTs

you might get better responses on the limit forums even though this is a mtt hand, like 0 limit MTT hands are discussed here.

I've neve played limit, but if you raised the flop and he reraise you wouldnt it be pretty easy to put him on an ace?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:42 AM

edit: i realized this was LHE and not NL, post removed.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:10 AM

Seems like once you raised on the flop, you are in this hand until the bitter end.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:18 AM

You are in on this hand to the bitter end, so I would reraise him.
Villain should always bet this hand on the flop because of his stacksize, so his possible cardrange is quite wide.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:27 AM

I think this is a fine place for the post, since tournament considerations do apply. You're a long way from the money on a short stack. He's a LAG with position and a significant chip lead over you firing into a scary board... so take that bet with a grain of salt.

You're still ahead of straight/flush draws so you need to charge him for it, and hopefully it will give you some more information on what he's holding. A scared call may be the safe play to leave you alive, but it's the last thing you want to do right now. Make a stand, and hope for the best.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:21 AM

Once you three-bet this preflop you are committed to going all the way with it, no matter how ugly the board looks.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you raised the flop and he reraise you wouldnt it be pretty easy to put him on an ace?

[/ QUOTE ] That was not what happened. MP1 open-raises and hero re-raises, and MP1 flat calls. MP1 is obviously an aggressive guy, raising more than once per orbit, sitting on a decent stack and would be expected to open from MP with a wide range of hands.

His flop bet could be made with any pair, any flush draw, even a str8 draw. Unless MP1 sees it as a trivial matter getting the last of hero's chips in I'd lean towards that he did not flop trips. I'd guess there's a 2:1 chance MP1's not ahead at this point.

I'd also say, that if we knew he was ahead hero should fold here. In limit where FE is not a factor I believe you can still recover with close to 3 BB, and the pot odds for hitting a third Q or runner-runner str8 are just not there.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)