Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Interesting Spot (playing the player)

UTG is 38/13. Decent raising standards PF, but will go limp with TP or better. Have moved him off a hand twice already with a check raise semi bluff.

Could I have changed my line to maybe take down a decent sized pot? The turn is primarily my question.

Note: I thought it was close between calling or 3 betting my 99, I elected to call.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB
Old 08-09-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Interesting Spot (playing the player)

Looks ok, against the player you describe I think its an easy preflop 3 bet.

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-09-2005, 07:07 PM

A pf 3-bet would have drastically changed this hand.

Given that you called though, I'd have a hard time betting that flop vs a player with decent pf standards. An UTG raise/check line with two broadways on the flop looks awfully suspect to me.

You're only ahead of 88,77,66,33, and 22 here. The vast majority of preflop raising hands have you totally crushed. Also, since you still have 3 opponents in the hand, your percieved ability to fold out UTG is mostly irrelevant.

I'd prefer to check here and re-evaluate on the turn. If it still gets checked to you when that ace falls, then I bet/call and take a look at the river. Be aware that this hand is getting shown down no matter what though, so be sure you like your chances before investing further.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A pf 3-bet would have drastically changed this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

99 isn't always an auto 3 bet. I think that in this situation, it may have been better, but that may just be because of results. At the time I thought it was close.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that you called though, I'd have a hard time betting that flop vs a player with decent pf standards. An UTG raise/check line with two broadways on the flop looks awfully suspect to me

[/ QUOTE ]

This player seems pretty passive postflop (goes limp with TP). More likely he's check/folding or check/calling than check/raising. And it's an easy fold to a check/raise.

[ QUOTE ]
You're only ahead of 88,77,66,33, and 22 here. The vast majority of preflop raising hands have you totally crushed. Also, since you still have 3 opponents in the hand, your percieved ability to fold out UTG is mostly irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so important what we're ahead of but what will fold. Had we 3-bet preflop it's possible the preflop raiser would have grunted in disgust about how he always loses to AK and thrown away his hand.

And if you do this:

[ QUOTE ]
If it still gets checked to you when that ace falls, then I bet/call and take a look at the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are spewing... if you bet the turn you HAVE to fold to a check/raise. There are 3 overcards to your pair, why on earth would you call this?

[ QUOTE ]
Be aware that this hand is getting shown down no matter what though, so be sure you like your chances before investing further.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good preflop hand can become non-showdown worthy very quickly.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:34 PM

Against any player with normal preflop raising standards, 99 becomes a 3-bet there. Besides the very good chance that you're ahead in the hand (i.e., UTG raises with AQs, UTG+1 coldcalls with 77), buying the button would be very good, and I don't want to allow more players into the pot with more potential overcards. It's even easier when the player in question is as weak/tight postflop as you describe.

I'm not betting the turn vs. two opponents. You're obviously not ahead of both, especially when the only real draw from the flop (QT) just got there. Check thru &amp; fold the river UI, as you did.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:05 PM

If villain only raises UTG with AK - AJ, AA - TT then I think there are few hands that make sense to check-call this flop with (assuming he plays reasonably post flop). The only thing I can think of would be AQ / AJ. It's also possible that you're up against QQ or TT.

QQ + TT : 12 ways
AQ / AJ : 21 ways

I think with a turn bet you can often fold QQ or TT here and the pot is big enough to give it a shot. I don't think you ever fold AQ. I bet / fold this turn (you probably get check raised by a slow played set or AJ) and check behind on the river, expecting to lose to AQ.

Oh and if the blinds are tight, I 3 bet pf.