Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2004, 09:49 AM

Default 2/4 JJ in a family pot

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (14.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 16.75 BB, between UTG and Hero.</font>
Old 09-03-2004, 09:52 AM

Default Re: 2/4 JJ in a family pot

I like this play. Had you raised the flop you'd probably have got less bets on the turn.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:42 AM

I like waiting until the turn and seeing what develops on this one. On the flop, when UTG+1 bets, if you raise you're confronting the field with 15.5:2 odds, so you're not really pricing out gutshots, two-pair/trips, or overcard draws.

There are a lot of different types of cards that can come on the turn, and what to do there would depend on which card came and what UTG+1 did. The 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is about as good a card in terms of increasing your pot equity as you could ask for, so I'm all about raising the turn. You're confronting the field with 11.75:2 with only one card to come, so you've killed the odds for a lot of the draws that would have been correct to call on the flop.

River bet is standard. I think you played this one perfectly on all streets. To me, the crux of this hand is whether to raise the flop or not--and I agree with waiting to see what the turn brings. I'm interested in what others think here.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:02 PM

Would you play QQ/KK/AA (and possibly AT) the same?
Old 09-03-2004, 02:15 PM

I'd raise the flop here since I was open ended. If I had a bigger overpair, I would wait until the turn.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:47 PM

I'd prefer to raise the flop and give 8's and 9's a chance to fold, as well as bare Q's and 6's.