Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Wheel of Time

Back to this series again I see.

Jordan has a huge wall chart with about 70 threads running. He lost control a long time ago. He seems to be under the impression that ballooning story lines serves a useful purpose. His pacing is as bad as it gets. I stole the last three books by skim-reading them in Borders. Book 8 took maybe 20 minutes.

His worst of all was starting a book with the cliffhanger of the Sisters of the Dark, a thread that has an obvious solution even in his universe where all women are hyperdysfunctional. He spent 10 pages on it, then did not return to it in that book. Utter tripe.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Let's get to the epic battle, Rand goes [censored] nuts and has a quintuplesum with the girls while the earth explodes around them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont forget Mat. And Perrin might be the worst character ever written into a fantasy novel. He actually annoys me in much the same fashion as the protagonist from Thomas Covenant series.

[/ QUOTE ]

But with Thomas Covanant I think you are meant to hate him as he hates himself, in the first books anyway. I quite liked those books better than the Gap books he followed it with.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Let's get to the epic battle, Rand goes [censored] nuts and has a quintuplesum with the girls while the earth explodes around them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont forget Mat. And Perrin might be the worst character ever written into a fantasy novel. He actually annoys me in much the same fashion as the protagonist from Thomas Covenant series.

[/ QUOTE ]

But with Thomas Covanant I think you are meant to hate him as he hates himself, in the first books anyway. I quite liked those books better than the Gap books he followed it with.

[/ QUOTE ]

The next book is the last book, and I say thank god, I absolutely fell in love with the first, id say 5-6 books, but after that, pure [censored] filler. Here is the plotline of the last 5:

"Would you like some tea?" asked pointless bitchy Aes Sedai character #65 whose name sounds like everyone elses and confuses the [censored] out of me. As Nynaeve angrily pulled her braids (get it, its her character thing) she noticed that the thick brown tea was about four degrees warmer than the air around it, and that the pot was undoubtedly silver, with chasings 'round the rim. She put her arms under her full breast, feeling the silky confines of her indecent Taraboner dress, red with slashes of silver, much like other Aes Sedai wore in days past, though Elayne would have something to say about it in her frilly laced dress, black lace spilling over her neck and at the sleeves.

UGH WHO [censored] CAAAARES!!!!

Not to mention that Jordan seems to find every man inept and every woman a conniving bitch.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:48 AM

I want to see Moraine come back; the characters treat her like she's dead, but she's only in that 'other dimension' and I have no doubt but what she'll return.

Maybe in Volume 22.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:53 AM

jordan publicly stated that he's ending it next book.

oh, and before I read 11, Im assuming that Galad (or is that the brother) becomes the Whitecloak leader... leading up to the inevitable brother against brother battle when the other guy defends Egwene?
Old 11-15-2005, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
jordan publicly stated that he's ending it next book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe him.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:10 AM

Says on his blog that 12 will be the last althouhg there is some talk of some prequels and that book 12 may be very long.

Its a bit longwinded here too
Old 11-15-2005, 09:15 AM

Im just surprised he didnt avail us of the color, tempurature and taste of his coffee, nor what he was wearing when he wrote it.

I wonder where his talent went... the first 3 books were unreal, and the next 3 were good...maybe he stopped the drugs, or got married?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im just surprised he didnt avail us of the color, tempurature and taste of his coffee, nor what he was wearing when he wrote it.

I wonder where his talent went... the first 3 books were unreal, and the next 3 were good...maybe he stopped the drugs, or got married?

[/ QUOTE ]

He does mention what clothes he wears when doing a days writing, in answer to one of the questions further down the page.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:28 AM

Oh god. The horror.

I cant wait for this to be over, because I have invested far too much time in it, and love the Mat character... though I wish he would mature already. The only really dynamic male character is Rand, even though it's in a [censored] way.