Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 10-05-2005, 01:03 AM

Default This is probably due to a virus

Im sure someone in my family downloaded something stupid since I left for work and came back and some of the settings were changed and AIM had been upgraded. The computer froze up and I was forced to reboot shortly after I logged on.

Now when I attempt to use my computer all my programs start loading and I get a message saying that services.exe has an error or has crashed and windows needs to restart. This comes up every time. Is services.exe a necessary file? Can I just delete it in safe mode? If this is a known virus or bug or just something random how do I fix it?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:20 AM

Default Re: This is probably due to a virus

There is a crucial windows system file called services.exe, and there are also viruses that install files of the same name. - See http://www.liutilities.com/products/...rary/services/

If your antivirus software is up to date and doesn't see anything suspect, it could just be a corrupted file/registry entry. Reinstalling the latest windows service pack from www.microsoft.com should correct it.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:36 PM

How do I reinstall the service pack via safe mode?
Old 10-06-2005, 04:47 AM

Choose Safe Mode with Networking, so you still have Internet access. Failing that, download the full version (probably listed as the network version or developer version) on another PC and burn it to CD.