Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-28-2005, 10:19 AM

Default slowplayed AA hand

Opponent is your standard party donk. Around 50/2/1. Those stats are from memory but they aren't far off. There were a couple of real LAGS at this table so I went for a limp reraise, but that whiffed from the lags. Once the villain bet so large preflop, I put him on JJ-KK. I decided to flat call and not announce the strength of my hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Hero ($49.25)
CO ($40.45)
Button ($62.80)
SB ($46.40)
BB ($50)
UTG ($49.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.50, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $2.5</font>, Hero calls $2.50, Button folds, SB calls $2.50.

Flop: ($9.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, SB folds, BB calls $39 (All-In), Hero calls $26.25 (All-In).

Turn: ($102.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($102.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $102.75
Old 12-28-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: slowplayed AA hand

If hes your standard party donk, and you put him on KK-JJ, why not put him all-in preflop? He will almost always call.
And you dont have to get all nevous when the flop is KJQ.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:29 AM

I'm generally not a big fan of this play, as limp-calling with AA generally leads to many more headaches than you really want to have when playing a premium starting hand. If you raise upfront with it, you'll still get action from the KK-JJ, AK and the like. The few times I've tried to limp-reraise at a table that has been playing aggressively preflop, I almost always whiff. Looks like this one probably worked out for the best, though, unless he was making a move preflop with 99 or 77.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:31 AM

I don't think he'll call an all in with JJ, maybe QQ, and for sure KK, so I think he might fold 2 out of the 3 to agression, especially if the flop comes scary and i've reraised. Even party donks know limp reraise usually means AA.

But since I haven't shown strenght, my hand is hidden, and the flop raise makes it look like i'm taking a shot at him with suspected missed overs.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:40 AM

I don't mind this line for the reasons you state in your later post. If you've got him on a tight range like that, go ahead and play the hand like you know what his cards are. A typical party donk isnt getting away from KK,QQ on this flop so you're good. Actually, I wouldn't be getting away from KK,QQ on this flop either.

And yeah, a KQJ flop would have sucked, but I'd rather get some value for my hand than win a tiny pot pre-flop if he has JJ , QQ and can fold it. If he can't fold, may as well set him in PF though while you're wayyyy ahead.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:46 AM

I like it. He's not getting away from any overpair here and he has no clue that he is no good.
I like this slowplay and do it occasionally if i am in the blinds and get a large raise heads up from a player who's pfr range is pretty narrow.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:37 AM

I don't like your attempt to LRR PF, even given your read of the table conditions. Although I understand your reasoning (you wanted to put the hammer on the lags), I think you can earn more $ on this hand by just playing straight -- especially considering the lags you were playing the LRR for. Reason being: when you LRR from UTG, you diagram exactly AA, and even a blind donk can see that. You won't get your action. If you open for a raise, the LAGs might think they can push you around and raise, which is muuch better for you.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:05 PM

Slowplaying AA might work HU, but never against a potential 3 callers. That being said, don't ever do it at ssnl.