Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-23-2005, 07:40 PM

Default WA/WB, bet the river?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

Villain is a LAG, known to bet the river with or without things. Is it worth betting here since it is HIGHLY unlikely it will be checked behind, it will only get when I am beat or he is feeling frisky.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Re: WA/WB, bet the river?

This probably doesn't qualify as a WA/WB situation. If you're ahead here villain probably has 6+ outs.

I probably just fold on the flop, but if you're going to continue with the hand, I think you should checkraise the flop.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:57 PM

Fold this PF. 55 Does not play well in multi-way pots only containg 3-4 players - especially with a LAG behind who has a good chance of raising.

Given that you didn't C/R the flop and lead the turn (I think I would call down if he 3-bets the flop).

Given how you made it to the river, yes C/C is fine, but you really shouldn't be in a position like that.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:52 PM

You do realize this is 5-handed right?

[ QUOTE ]
Fold this PF. 55 Does not play well in multi-way pots only containg 3-4 players - especially with a LAG behind who has a good chance of raising.

Given that you didn't C/R the flop and lead the turn (I think I would call down if he 3-bets the flop).

Given how you made it to the river, yes C/C is fine, but you really shouldn't be in a position like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-23-2005, 09:55 PM

'You do realize this is 5-handed right'

One guy has already limped by the time action is on hero, likely to be at least 3 handed if he calls or raises...
Old 12-23-2005, 09:59 PM

What about a limp re-raise before the flop if we are confident of our read on the villian? I think this would give us back control of the hand, which is critical in a five-handed situation.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about a limp re-raise before the flop if we are confident of our read on the villian? I think this would give us back control of the hand, which is critical in a five-handed situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

well it's heads up, and that's a great way to tie overs to the pot.. I hate this
Old 12-23-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You do realize this is 5-handed right?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm yes. It would be fine in most full ring games at this level, and marginal in a 6-handed game where all the players were very loose passive. In this game, I don't think twice about folding it.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if c/ring the flop is really the best idea. With that board there are a lot of hands that are probably about even equity wise with hero's hand. AK,AQ, most hands with two hearts, OESDs, etc because all of these hands will be overcards+straigh/flush draw against heros hand. The LAG isn't going to lay any of these down if he has them, so there isn't much you can do to protect your hand. The only other reason to raise is if we have an equity advantage, which I think with the possible draws plus the times villian has a bigger pair probably make it a -EV raise.

I like check call, if villian has any of the draws he won't take a free card on the turn anyways, maybe the turn would be a spot to c/r, but you set yourself up to be outplayed if villian will 3-bet with a worse hand. He'll bet on the river with a busted draw, so I like the c/c there as well.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:19 PM

Preflop is close for me, if the blinds are tight I raise.

C/r the flop, put some pressure on the villian, don't let him dictate how the hand goes.