Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-13-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Mouse in apartment, help??

If he has rabies he will die in a week or so, so you can just wait him out.

Is action point 'C' where you use the suckling mouse brain vaccine?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:16 AM

I wonder if anyone has ever tried the board game mousetrap on a real mouse.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:33 AM

That was a fun board game but unfortunately it won't change the fact I'm so scared and hearing little whistling-like noises occasionally and so tired and wanting to sleep but refusing to till I know it's either dead or out of my place [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Oh well, me and another roomie are up till one of our 6 others wake up then they can deal with it.

Haven't gotten bitten yet [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2005, 10:42 AM

Please tell me you are not serious in this thread. A mouse is about a one ounce critter who is terrified of you, he won't be starting anything if he can help it. Get a trap, bait it with penut butter, dead mouse within an hour (or extremely wounded mouse you will have the painful chore of mercy killing).
Old 11-13-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Haha, Diablo is winding you up. The only creatures that carry rabies are dogs (perhaps other canines too), bats, and squirrels. (Any mammal CAn get it, but it is very unlikely in mice.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, so many contradictions in one post. First, there are no other canines besides dogs. Do you mean things related to dogs like foxes or weasels? You admit that any mammal can get rabies, and then go on to say only this small set of mammals gets rabies. You've never heard of rabid racoons, possums, cats, etc.? I agree that rabies isn't your greatest concern with mice, as the most effective way of transferring rabies is through bites or (less likely) scrathces, most of which will kill the mouse at the time of the incident.But they do carry lots of other diseases.

And to correct El D, who probably know whats up anyways, you no longer need a series of injection into your abdomen to get rid of rabies. When i got exposed to rabies I needed two large shots in my ass and one small shot in my arm. After that I got the same shot in my arm 3 days later, 7 days later, 14 and then 28 days later, and that should keep me vaccinated for a long time.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:04 AM

Checked out my microbiology book about the epidemiology of rabies. Nothing is mentioned about rats, however cats, skunks , raccoons, badgers, foxes are mentioned as carriers of the disease. In the US the major carriers are cats, since they are not vaccinated.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:12 AM

http://www.pestproducts.com/multi-catch-mouse-trap.htm
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...ogle&hl=en
Old 11-13-2005, 11:15 AM

Rabies is really rare.

However, the diseases present in the Americas include: the plague (Yersinia pestis), salmonellosis (S. typhimurium; S. enteritidis); leptospirosis (L. icterohaemorragiae); murine typhus (Rickettsia typhi); rickettsialpox (R. akari); lymphocytic choriomeningitis (arenavirus); rat-bite fever (Spirilum minus, Streptobacillus monilifomis); Hantavirus hemorrhagic pulmonary syndrome; hemorrhagic fevers (Arenavirus); Venezuelan equine encephalitis (alphavirus); Powassan encephalitis (Flavivirus); rabies; Rocky Mountain spotted fever (R. rickettsii); and tularemia (Francisella tularensis), as well as parasitisms, such as trichinosis (Trichinella spiralis); eosinophilic meningitis (Angiostrongylius cantonensis); and taeniasis (Hymenolepis nana or H. diminuta). http://www.paho.org/english/dd/ped/te_rdes.htm

So, it is probably not a good idea to let him near your bunghole.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:18 AM

Your apartment is FUBAR. Nail your roommates doors shut and set the place on fire and get the hell out. It's the only way. gogogogo
Old 11-13-2005, 11:22 AM

There are plenty of other canines besides dogs. Wolves, foxes, coyotes, jackals etc.