Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Need some advice when starting a session

I have a problem in that when i first sit down to a session i always seem to lose initally.

i play $100NL 6-MAX and average +$30-100 per session whether that be one hour or 6, one table or 4. I can only play a few times/week so am happy with this. But what happens is I start and with 30-40 hands am ~$30 down. I tried looking at PT stats to see if there was anything but only that I am a little cautious. I generally play quite tight and then aggressive with something but rarely bluff.

Has anyone any ideas on how to improve this? I see others sit down, be aggressive from the off and create a table image quickly. The aggressiveness is something I am learning (I have only been playing 8months) and just feel a bit stuck...
Old 08-22-2005, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Need some advice when starting a session

An idea for you. Pick a session or part of a session where you played well and playback some/all of those hands in PT. But don't run them in continuous play mode, rather, step through each hand and decide what you should do. It could help get your game face on before you get into the game. I doubt it would hurt you, other than consuming some of your playing time.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Need some advice when starting a session

When I had this problem. I broke it by "warming up" with solid strategy at the play money tables for 20 minutes before a real money session. I'd have dropped to low-stakes real money, but this usually happen to me when I'm learning a new game or betting structure (PL vs NL vs. Limit), and I'm usually *playing* low stakes then.

Yes, play at those tables is ridiculous. Paradoxically, that actually seemed to help me, by showing me how silly my leaks looked in exxagerated form, and highlighting the virtue of proper play. Yes, the lost warmup time is arguably have been -EV, but I had a definitel leak, and NOT warming up would probably have been even more -EV for me.

YPMV (Your Problems May Vary) For your sake, I hope they do.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:19 AM

Default try observing tables-

ive heard a decent amount about this and although i play mostly ss limit, i also drop initially- my fix has been opening 4 tables and walking away for 15 min, getting PT to log players stats, and then pick the best 1 out of those 4- and then watch the table for awhile to pick up on players.

if you're an abc semi-decent winning player it's possible that these reads can help your initial table image- ie. pick on weak tight players ect.

maybe it'll help