Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 05:28 PM

Default 77 rivers a set, river spewing?

Villan is 27/12/1.8 but only 33 hands

Is the river 3 bet too much? I figured he whiffed on a turn CR with an A.

Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (7.00 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: 77 rivers a set, river spewing?

Hell no. His cap sucks, but oh well. I think you see AK or AQ enough after he check-raises the river. If he has a bigger set or AhKh, so be it.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:39 PM

looks like you have something you want to call a river bet with... so i don't know why he would try to check raise instead of just value betting.

you're not going to value bet anything but KK or KQ here - everything else you'd bet on the turn (aces, sets). i'm pretty sure if this hand were posted from villain's perspective everyone would agree he played it poorly.

i would 3-bet in your spot, too.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:58 PM

A good TAG will raise from the SB with a good range of hands here. His flop call means little. He could be check/calling a medium suited ace or AJ/AT. He could be trapping with a set. He could be on a diamond draw (maybe JTd). His turn check means little as well. But I vastly prefer to bet this turn since

it is impossible for Villain to play his hand incorrectly if you check behind on the turn.

If Villain calls, I'm not putting any more money into this pot unless I spike a set. No, I'm not calling a lead on the river.

As for taking the line that you don't want to put any more money into this pot once Villain calls your flop bet (barring a 7 on the turn/river), I'd do that against certain players who get squeamish with just an ace. TAG's flop call could mean so much more than, "I'm slowplaying a monster," or "I have an ace and will let you bet my hand for me." So, against a TAG, I bet this turn.

So you spike a set. He checks, you bet. He check-raises. What's going on here? A good Villain would likely take this line with AA/AQ/QQ for a number of reasons. He's hoping he'll induce a bluff. He's hoping you improved to a second-best hand. He may even try this with AK in the hopes that he'll get called by a worse ace. Or maybe he has 22 or 55 and life is good. Then again, maybe he made his flush. It wouldn't be unreasonable for Villain to have JTh here.

When he caps, I would fold if I only had bottom set (pretend you had deuces, the seven flopped, and you rivered the duck). But with trip sevens, you'll get capped by 22 or 55 just often enough to make a call profitable. But that's the ONLY reason I call. I would be SHOCKED if Villain capped this river with anything other than the nuts, AAA, or QQQ. But 222 and 555 are remote yet reasonable possibilities, nonetheless.

All things considered, I like your river line. But bet the turn.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hell no. His cap sucks, but oh well. I think you see AK or AQ enough after he check-raises the river. If he has a bigger set or AhKh, so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

But when he caps it, it is thoroughly unlikely that Villain has AK/AQ. Still, I call the cap in the off-chance that Villain has a smaller set.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:14 PM

You absulutely must 3-bet the river. He could have a ton of stuff.