Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 06:32 PM

Default I\'m weak tight.... check/folding an overpair

I feel like this is pretty standard, but would it have been correct to put money in on this flop either in the form of a bet or a checkraise?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

CO ($61.15)
Button ($49.75)
SB ($23.70)
BB ($17.70)
UTG ($22.85)
UTG+1 ($17)
Hero ($47.75)
MP2 ($89.80)
MP3 ($39.80)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($9.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $6</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $15.25
Old 10-28-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: I\'m weak tight.... check/folding an overpair

Looks fine to me
Old 10-28-2005, 06:39 PM

Standard to me.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:48 PM

I prefer a limp preflop then test him on the flop. Given your preflop I don't think your flop play is too bad tho you should probably bet out and see what happens. If CO is same CO from other hand then I start to think him a rammerjammer and start calling him down.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer a limp preflop then test him on the flop. Given your preflop I don't think your flop play is too bad tho you should probably bet out and see what happens. If CO is same CO from other hand then I start to think him a rammerjammer and start calling him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Different villain.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:57 PM

Am I the only one who tests the water with a pot-sized bet on the flop?
Old 10-28-2005, 07:03 PM

Reads??

I'd lead the flop for $8 and fold to any raise. Villians range is wide. He could have AK, AQ and if he doesn't have a high club he's folding. 70% of flops are missed and you likely have the best hand. Don't let a pre-flop mini-raise scare you away.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:04 PM

Unless a re-raise from my opponent could mean a hand like KJs or 77, I probably check fold on way less scary boards than this one. Now matting on my read and I had a good feeling I had the best hand I would tend to lead the flop rather than Check Raise. So like Bet if you think his min raise range of hands is pretty wide and like check fold if you think his min raise means good hand.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reads??

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something I really need to work on. I'm usually doing 2872398472 things besides paying attention to the tables I'm at. I think I'm better than average at reading hands based on betting patterns but I have to improve this if I'm going to move up limits.

So yeah, to make a long story short, I didn't have a read.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Reads??

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something I really need to work on. I'm usually doing 2872398472 things besides paying attention to the tables I'm at. I think I'm better than average at reading hands based on betting patterns but I have to improve this if I'm going to move up limits.

So yeah, to make a long story short, I didn't have a read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Individual reads as well as table reads are crucuial. I don't think most people know how to apply them though. The sooner you make an effort to do so, the more you'll win imho.

Why do you play poker? do you play for fun, kill boredom, money, enjoy the competition?

If you want to improve you need to pay attention, even when you're not in a hand. I play 4-6 tables on average, and I have an eleborate note taking process. I assign general reads to players, and also rate their skill based on hand sI've seen shown down. I have a lot of aabreviations for particular players based on how they generally play hands that I've seen. Most importantly, I note who are the players who call most raises with any two, any two suited, call weak hands OOP, calling stations, look-up artist, etc... All very important in winning.