Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Losing a K high flush.

I was in a 2400 person online tourn. with the top 40 getting payed. I am in 11th place and there are 46 players left. The chip leader (who I suspected of stealing a lot of blinds and pots) is the SB and raises driving everyone but me out, I was in middle position. I flop a k high flush. Chip leader bets half my stack. I raise all-in. He turns over a A high flush and I am out in 46th place. I already know that I made a stupid move (I am still working on my discipline issues) but I want your opinion what you think would have been the best way to play this and when would it have been the time to fold.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Losing a K high flush.

uh.. never

flopping a K high flush = allin.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was in a 2400 person online tourn. with the top 40 getting payed. I am in 11th place and there are 46 players left. The chip leader (who I suspected of stealing a lot of blinds and pots) is the SB and raises driving everyone but me out, I was in middle position. I flop a k high flush. Chip leader bets half my stack. I raise all-in. He turns over a A high flush and I am out in 46th place. I already know that I made a stupid move (I am still working on my discipline issues) but I want your opinion what you think would have been the best way to play this and when would it have been the time to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like money, have Kx of clubs in your hand, board has 3 clubs, and you have the physical ability to move the bar on the screen to the right, or push chips into a pot, then you will get your money in here every time.

Play another day. Next time he'll have the naked ace when you push it.

Brad
Old 09-08-2005, 06:17 PM

Not much you can do here, you're not getting away from this. Tough to take, but you didn't do a damn thing wrong IMO.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:25 PM

GOOD STORY
Old 09-08-2005, 06:29 PM

yea you did the right thing.. if I had a nickel for everytime something went wrong when I thought I had the best hand.. well, i'd have a lot of nickels.. but no shame in losing on that play.. The only play that would have been criticized is folding a King high flush on the flop.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:42 PM

Umm the only reason to fold here is if he showed you his cards before you moved all in... These things happen.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:00 PM

What you gotta do is stare at the guy and calmly ask him "are you playing to win, or playing to lose?" and maybe "do you know who I am?". Watch for any adam's apple movement, and any vein twitches on forehead.

You flopped the 2nd nut to his nut bro. It doesn't happen all that often and there is no way to get away from it, this is losing your money every time unfortunately, but thats poker.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What you gotta do is stare at the guy and calmly ask him "are you playing to win, or playing to lose?" and maybe "do you know who I am?". Watch for any adam's apple movement, and any vein twitches on forehead.

You flopped the 2nd nut to his nut bro. It doesn't happen all that often and there is no way to get away from it, this is losing your money every time unfortunately, but thats poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put.. It's like having trips on a weak board and losing to bigger trips.. very rare, but it happens.. suckouts/improbable scenarios are a large part of tournament play especially..
Old 09-08-2005, 08:13 PM

The only thing I was wondering about was if I should have gone all-in with the 2nd best hand before I am in the money.
I appreciate your opinions. I started playing this game 1 1/2 months ago and I love it, I love the simplicity in the beginning and the complexity and strategy involved as you learn more.