Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2004, 02:19 PM

Default Re: The EV of Sex

Ummmmm, is it possible he had a 6 9 also? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2004, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care about the hand, but I will say this:

You need to train your GF to not use sex as a bargaining chip for you to come home when you're out with your buddies.

Next time she did something like that, I'd say, "Thanks, but no thanks. You know it's my poker night. I'll see you when I get home."

Also, I'd call her when she's doing her spa day with her friends and tell her she should come home right away because you want to get laid.

Same thing, isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll just assume you are a virgin and move on. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2004, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, does nobody want to do some actual analysis on this hand? I think it's fairly interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give it a shot. Here's what I think, based on your read of the players.

The C/R all-in would lead me to believe it's a heart draw with two overcards. No way the SB slowplays a big pair PF that way with you in the BB, as he wouldn't let you have a free flop.

The call of your PF raise from him is an easy one after the CO called. He'd be getting about 2-1 on a call, and with a hand like JT [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] he'd probably see a flop.

Post flop, the key to his play is that he has incomplete information. He probably assumes he can get you to lay down your hand since it's early in the tournament, and you know him to be a good player. He would probably guess that not only is his heart draw good, but that his two overs might even be live if you have AK, or something like that.

Of course he doesn't know that this hand has a PV dynamic, and you're very likely to call him.

I think he'd check/call a 4, and I really don't think he has a pair higher than the board, as he probably wouldn't limp PF with it. OESD is a possibility, but you holding two 6s reduces that chance.

I'm sticking with my flush draw read, with a hand like QJ, JT or T9s.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:01 PM

I also meant to say that if he did have a flush draw, I kind of like this play against another solid player, who might lay down an overpair on this flop, for fear of being eliminated on the first hand. I think you're going to have the odds to call regardless, but as a top 3 player in the tournament, he might think you don't want to risk your tournament life on the first hand, IMO.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:19 PM

pretty close, Scott.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:30 PM

The fact that you specified that you had a black 66 leads me to believe that he had the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], OESFD.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you specified that you had a black 66 leads me to believe that he had the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], OESFD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting read. I thought maybe he mentioned that partially to point out that he didn't have a heart though.

Results Soss? About the poker? Er, um, .... ah hell, there's no way to respond in this thread without it sounding like innuendo. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2004, 03:36 PM

If he can guess that it’s your tent-pole raising the table off the floor, then I put him on being dealt two cards.

If not, then I’d put him on a flushdraw or straightdraw (or both). I think he’d come out betting with overpair or A5 type hand and be willing to give it up to pressure. I think a push here wants to have at least some outs if you have the 4. But I don’t see a 4 or boat pushing on you here.

Hopefully, all that pushing just got you in the mood…

--Greg

Edit: Nolan pointed out you have the 66, so I think flushdraw much more likely than straightdraw.

Of course, being the smart guy you are, once you put him on a flushdraw, its almost certainly two overcards as well, meaning you are an underdog to his hand. And you wouldn’t risk him busting your balls so early in the tourney with your EV only slightly elevated above horizontal, if it weren’t for the massive suckout you expected to occur.

Very clever, Soss.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:18 PM

while you haven't necessarily inspired a whole lot of good poker discussion in this thread, it's been very entertaining. Thanks.

Gavin Griffin

btw... I'd put him on flush draw and 2 overs, but there's already plenty of dead money in there and the added value of going all in when you get home, adds a little... has anybody used this one yet? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2004, 04:21 PM

He had A2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], so I was ahead by a little bit. In terms of EV, it was a pretty easy call if I don't feel that he would play the 4 like that. I actually put him on just overs or A5. I didn't even consider A3s/A2s but I think his play is good there with those, given that he read me as being able to lay down a small overpair. I would have played it the same way he did both preflop and on the flop.

So, he hit a 3 on the turn, and I missed my 8 outs on the river and went home.

Of course, my girlfriend was sleeping when I got home.