Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Anyone get away from this? NL50

Just to update everyone. I did call the river bet, which brought the pot to around 130 i think. I showed first, the short stack mucked, and main villian turned over QT for the straight. I promptly threw up.

His PF call was defanitly wrong right? Was it my own fault i gave this pot to him?

Edit: Just wanted to add another and probably main reason i didnt pot the flop. About 60 percent of the bets i make are Continuation bets. I size them anywhere from half to 2/3 the pot. Now if i got from 2/3 the pot everytime to all of a sudden making a pot sized bet. Wont even the simplist of players be able to tell when ive got it, and when I dont?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wont even the simplist of players be able to tell when ive got it, and when I dont?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. A few things:

1) You're giving them too much credit. This is $50NL. Most of your opponents are unsophisticated; they play their own cards, and they don't try to figure out yours. Sure, there will be some thinking opponents, but then you should have reads like that on your opponents.

2) As you succeed in showing down strong hands after potting the flop, you can start potting when you miss (sometimes), tho unless your opponents are actually observant, I wouldn't recommend it.

3) If your CB works as intended and isn't called, they don't know that you're semi-bluffing.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: Just wanted to add another and probably main reason i didnt pot the flop. About 60 percent of the bets i make are Continuation bets. I size them anywhere from half to 2/3 the pot. Now if i got from 2/3 the pot everytime to all of a sudden making a pot sized bet. Wont even the simplist of players be able to tell when ive got it, and when I dont?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should also be considering the texture of the flop and the number of players in the pot when deciding what to bet.

If you're really worried about a player thinking about your betsizes and what they mean, then you should CB the amount that would be optimal to bet if you held the hand you were representing (i.e. full put on a draw heavy board).
Old 12-11-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they play their own cards, and they don't try to figure out yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally disagree with this. I believe that players at every level at least try to play well & figure out what thier opponents are doing. The difference is that the players at the lower levels tend to be very bad at this. They put thier opponents on the wrong hands, and they don't act corretly according to the reads they do make.

But I strongly believe that the average party donk does at least try.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they play their own cards, and they don't try to figure out yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally disagree with this. I believe that players at every level at least try to play well & figure out what thier opponents are doing. The difference is that the players at the lower levels tend to be very bad at this. They put thier opponents on the wrong hands, and they don't act corretly according to the reads they do make.

But I strongly believe that the average party donk does at least try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. When they don't it becomes blaringly obvious