Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Drafting for Someone Else

Buddy of mine just asked me to do something that always strikes me as an odd situation. He is in a fantasy league that I am not in. His former roomate is getting married on the day of this draft. He has already signed up for the cbs.sportsline part of the draft and still wants to be in the league.

So he calls and asks me if I will go to the draft and draft for him. Here is the big bone of contention with my other two friends who are in this league: this guy SUCKS at fantasy football. He's one of those guys who gives up on players after the first week, quits three times during the season and drafts guys who aren't even on teams or are injured for the year. He dropped Shaun Alexander a few years ago because he missed the first half of a game to be with his wife for his kids birth. And once drafted Desmond Clark when he was hurt for the year.

I am a pretty good fantasy player who drafts very well. I know the comish and she is fine with me coming to the draft and eating her food, blah, blah, blah.

From what I can gather this league is ripe with morons and if I really nail a draft for this guy he will probably finish the year well (though I am sure he will drop someone for some stupid reason at some point.)

So should I do it? Should I ask for cash to do it? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Or should I draft like he would? (nah, can't do that I'm way too cocky [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]) I think it could be an interesting experiment to see what is more important, the draft or the team managment.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Drafting for Someone Else

Get a % of the winnings.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this guy SUCKS at fantasy football. He's one of those guys who gives up on players after the first week, quits three times during the season and drafts guys who aren't even on teams or are injured for the year. He dropped Shaun Alexander a few years ago because he missed the first half of a game to be with his wife for his kids birth. And once drafted Desmond Clark when he was hurt for the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

he shouldn't be allowed in the league anyway.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this guy SUCKS at fantasy football. He's one of those guys who gives up on players after the first week, quits three times during the season and drafts guys who aren't even on teams or are injured for the year. He dropped Shaun Alexander a few years ago because he missed the first half of a game to be with his wife for his kids birth. And once drafted Desmond Clark when he was hurt for the year.
[ QUOTE ]
he shouldn't be allowed in the league anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't like dead money in your gambling ventures?

By the way this is also the reason why I don't want a percentage of his winnings. I'm sure he will [censored] something up, I'm on the side of team managment winning leagues. Plus, he could easily dump Larry Johnson because he is "taking up a roster spot and Priest has stayed healthy for the first two weeks so he won't get hurt."
Old 08-16-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So should I do it? Should I ask for cash to do it? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Or should I draft like he would? (nah, can't do that I'm way too cocky [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]) I think it could be an interesting experiment to see what is more important, the draft or the team managment.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am in one league with a friend of mine. He's in another league that I'm not in, and a similar situation came up -- he had a family vacation planned for the day of the draft. He offered to pay 1/2 of my entry fee in the league we're in together just to do the draft for him, and also kick me in on a percentage if I draft him a winner. That could be the kind of arrangement you set up with your buddy. Fact is, I would have done it for free. I love FFB drafts -- it's like Christmas morning for me... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2005, 12:24 PM

You want to draft for me too?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I have to choose any Vikings besides Culpepper and Moore?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I have to choose any Vikings besides Culpepper and Moore?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I was considering for a brief time drafting an all-Vikings team, though.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:05 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

If I remember right, the best teams I used to see became that way through the supplementals and trades. Not necesarily the initial draft. Though he might be an early frontrunner, he could very easily fade after the first supp. (my old league the first supp was after week 4) I did this regularly. I had great opening drafts. Usually going no less than 3-1 to the first supp, then the roof would cave in gradually. Side note: One year I had a very high scoring team. Except I always seemed to be against a team having a career week. I'd be in the top 2 or 3 scores of the week playing against the top 1 or 2 scoring team. That was a long year. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
And once drafted Desmond Clark when he was hurt for the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would a commish allow someone to draft someone who is out for the year? That's not really in the best interest of the league, imo.

Another idea is to have him make a draft order list. We did that for a guy and it worked pretty well. That way you're just there and the list basically is automatic. If he has to, he can use a list out of a magazine for FFL. I wouldn't see anything wrong with this.

b