Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Flop Nut Flush Draw Decision.... fairly big stacks

Live @ Mandalay Bay a few months ago so some of the details are not exact.

Chip Stacks...... me and a buddy are at the same table....

Fish Villan # 1 One of the Blinds: $120 or so (from the must move)
EMP Hero # 1: $650-700
LMP Villan # 2: $8-900
Button Hero # 2: $250-300

Table action....

We played at Flamingo ($1/2 200 max) for a few days and were doing well... at seperate tables about 1k each + a $500 high hand bonus each.... so we decided to go over to Mandalay and play their 2/4.... $200 max.

We we're really outclassed at Mandalay... not that the 2/4 game there is extremely tough.. we've played it before... but the bigger game just broke and there was a table mostly full of better players..... from the bigger game... and we knew it so we we're playing fairly tight... there was a must move table feeding this game so there seemed to always be one fish tourist comming in to the table every 10 or 15 mins and busing out making some of the stacks at the table that much bigger.

Hand:

PF

This was one of the only hands that didn't have a PF raise.. or so thats what I remember..

Villan # 1: Checks..
EMP Hero # 1: Limps with AsXs...
LMP Villan # 2: Limps
Button Hero # 2: Limps with AhJh... (me)

There were othere limpers here or there but I don't remember how many... it wasn't the whole table or anything but it was more than the 3 of us.. maybe 1 or 2 more?

Flop

2s 6s 7c (or something of the like).

Fish Villan # 1: Checks.
EMP Hero # 1: Bets out about the pot.. maybe around $20 or so...
LMP Villan # 2: Raises to 85ish.. +/- 10 or so.
Button Hero # 2: Fully intended to make it 85ish or so but now am presented with a problem.... Villan #2 was a good tough player that saw a lot of flops cheap but played post flop very well... 67 suited , 66, 77 were well within some of his pre flop splashing arond hands and I read him for one of them and decided to get out of the hand...
Fish Villan #1 now check raises all in.. but he is short stacked and the raise is not that much... maybe another 40 on top of the 85ish..

After a long time Hero #1 decided to fold his nut flush draw... the hand was discussed at length and his read told him that Villan #1 most likely had him beat at the time.... but was vulnerable... some sort of overpair played poorly PF ...

his read on Villan #2
was that he had a middle set or top 2 pair.... and that if a brick fell on the turn he would be setting Hero #1 all in.... if a flush card came on the turn he wouldn't be stacking off.... the final reason was that Hero #1 had a good run of cards and felt that the table would have gobbled up his nice $2-300 win up and that he didn't want to put the rest of his stack in jeopardy..

Thoughts on all streets appreciated... mostly from Hero #1's perspective......

Note: Even if the $ in the pot doesn't add up... Hero #1 was getting a good price at the time for the nut flush draw.... but not if the turn was a brick.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Flop Nut Flush Draw Decision.... fairly big stacks

[ QUOTE ]
......Note: ... Hero #1 was getting a good price at the time for the nut flush draw....

[/ QUOTE ]
Then he should have (at least) called.
[ QUOTE ]
...but not if the turn was a brick.

[/ QUOTE ]
But you didn't know if it would be or not yet. So he folded on a hypothetical future card that he was getting the proper odds to see?? Hmmm...
Old 06-08-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Flop Nut Flush Draw Decision.... fairly big stacks

If you're up against 2 pair... you need just under 2:1 for the nut flush draw... if you're up against a set you need about 3:1... but that is for 2 cards... if you can see both of them.... you may have to pay a hefty price to see the river if a brick falls.... + I am not sure if I explained it correctly......

Blind checks
EP bets 20
MP Raises to 80
I fold
Blind re-raise all in and re-opens the betting..

So he may be facing the big re-raise for a lot of money on the flop and not in a later betting round...