Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 10:44 AM

Default ON the DN slow roll

First off. I like Daniel. He is one of my favorite pros. And, I don't care about slow-rolling one way or the other. I can understand that it might sting a little to be in David's spot there, but I don't think it was a terrible crime or anything.

But to those of you who think it wasn't an intentional slow roll are wrong. How do I know? Because he did the same exact thing earlier in the tourney when he flopped trip 2s. Flop comes, David pushes, Daniel says "what'd ya say", as if he didn't hear him, and then calls in dramatic fashion.

Like I said, I don't care, but it was definitely an intentional slow roll.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:51 AM

Default Re: *Official* WPT Borgata Poker Open thread

I disagree that it was slow rolling. Granting Daniel is way ahead with the rockets and knows he was calling, he only called on the flop. Had David rivered a K, J or 8 would Daniel have been accused of slow rolling? Show-boating? Maybe. Daniel can look playful at times and his antics attract attention in any poker room I have seen him play. At least he is not obnoxious like PH.

BTW, anybody noticed the guy who gave him a tight hug and a big kiss on the neck after he won? Just wondering.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:15 AM

Williams says in his little interview how scared he is of Daniel, then goes on to do a creditable job of bitch-slapping that little frostback all around the table.

It was fun to watch. I wasn't particularly rooting for either, although Daniel's alleged slow-roll did kind of put me off.

All in all, one of WPT's better shows.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:38 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.
Default Re: ON the DN slow roll

Did anyone catch what DW said on the last hand? He went all in and Daniel did his slow roll "what was that?" thing. DW said something, seemingly annoyed, but I couldn't make it out.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:10 PM

He said "nice slow roll."
Old 03-17-2005, 12:19 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

Ahh... very pimpish. Thanks
Old 03-17-2005, 12:20 PM

First of all, if you are talking about when Daniel took a little time to call with his AA against David's flopped kings, this is not a slowroll. A slowroll is when you call on the river, your opponent turns up a hand you beat and you wait for a moment and then turn up your winning hand.

Daniel did nothing of the sort here, he just prolonged his think for a moment, and then called and while this may have been done for dramitic effect, it is certainly within his right and doesn't even fall under poor poker etiquete.

And I believe that with the trip dueces, he really didn't hear that David said all in and wanted to make sure before he called. When he had the Kings, he called instantly, so I don't think the 222 was intentional.

Peace

Goodie
Old 03-17-2005, 12:25 PM

Bleh. Whatever. Like I said, I don't care one way or the other. It just seemed like obvious grandstanding for the cameras.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2005, 12:45 PM

This was an obvious slowroll (nitpicky definitions aside). Evidence? Anyone notice when Daniel caught the portly veteran pro guy in a bluff and was so proud of himself he mentioned that he had to "fade the 25o" or something like that? Then when he caught DW on a bluff he turned to someone in the crowd and made a face as if to say "does this guy think he can pull that on me?" He was getting pissed at DW for going over the top of him (we didn't see all the hands of course so it may have been more than they showed) and when he heard "all in" with his AA he intentionally asked "what was that" and then did his little show for the cameras. He wanted to win so bad and was so jacked up that I think his emotions got the better of him. We have all been there. I think he is an incredible player and plays on a level that I, frankly, don't understand. Unfortunately I lost a lot of respect for him last night. Hopefully he addresses it in his blog.

For those of you who are want to come back and point out that I was not in his head so how do I know anything, I say fair enough it is a valid point and I will make your argument for you to avoid the flame. However, based on simple human psychology that most poker players have a grasp of, I think my position is rather easily defended based on what we saw on the show.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:28 PM

My opinon is that even if he was slowrolling it was in good fun to DW. The whole show they talked about how good of friends DW, JA and DN were. Have you never slowrolled your best friends to mess with them. If not? You and I wouldn't get along because me and my friends give each other hell all the time and this would be a way that we would do it. It's like a we can do it to each other but if anyone else tries that crap.....you get my drift.

So my opinion is if it was a slowroll it was a friend messing with his friend.