Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2005, 09:34 PM

Default QQ in BB; Unknown Gets Frisky HU on Mildly Scary Board

I just have a general sense of unease about my play in this hand, so comments appreciated on all aspects of play. (I actually have specific unease but want advice uncolored by my feelings).

Villain just sat down at the table -- I can give reads on others, but they all folded [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Sorry, nothing on Villain.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

Thanks for any comments.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: QQ in BB; Unknown Gets Frisky HU on Mildly Scary Board

Check/raise the turn and then bet most rivers. I might check the ace on the river to induce a bluff, but it would have to depend on the opponent.

As the hand wen't down, your plan sucks if you were going to check/call the river. He will bet an ace after you check to him. He will probably check a T or a 9 and most other hands you beat. If he bets, you will be losing money on the river call (notice that calling is correct because of the pot size, but betting the river will net you more then check/calling) unless this guy is a known bluffer. Since you have no read, this isn't the case. Bet/fold the river as it went down.

Brad
Old 02-05-2005, 10:58 PM

My HU play sucks; I'm trying to read all the HU threads I see and study the advice.

I planned to bet-call the river. After Villain raised me on the flop, I went into check-call, check-call, bet mode, thinking my hand had showdown value but I had no way to know what my opponent had HU. When the A fell on the river, I sucked down the weaksauce and checked with the intention of calling. I honestly never really considered bet-fold the river (before or after the A fell). I wasn't going to fold when my view of the play was that this could have been a blind-steal attempt from the poster. Misguided?
Old 02-06-2005, 04:33 AM

Why do we check/raise the turn? More value than 3-betting the flop? Or is it b/c the board is so coordinated, we are waiting for what falls on the turn to push (our now larger) equity.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:09 AM

3-betting the flop is fine too. I like to take the tricky lines though. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Brad