Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 12:44 AM

Default 2nd nuts, Big Pot

The following happened in a 10-10-20 PLH game. According to “player A” the whole table was on tilt, except “A” himself. A had a stack of $10,000 , the player to his left had $12,000. They had everybody else covered.

A limped in UTG with Aces. Clearly, since the money was rather deep, and there where at times many raises and re-raises preflop, the best play was to raise here, but never mind that.

Three other players limp in, the two $10 blinds fold, the big blind checks.

Flop: A-K-8 bow.

A bets $100, B calls.

Turn: A-Qh-4-Kh

A bets $300, B raises $800 more, A calls.

River: A-Qh-4-Kh-8

A checks, B bets $2000 in to a $2520 pot. A has $8780 left. What should A do?
Old 01-04-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: 2nd nuts, Big Pot

Raising is out of the question. Fold or call, and I think it comes down to player history and any sort of tells.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:03 AM

Smells like JT. It would be a perfect hand to limp with in a decent sized pot. Would he call $100 to 3 outs? He's got 12k to play with, so maybe. Obviously, the K helped him. You can rule out the flush draw. He would play QK or AK the same way, but you said most pots would be raised and reraised... I'd expect someone to raise these hands in a deep stacked game.

Call me weak/tight, but I'm leaning toward folding here.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:24 AM

Come on? You guys are ready to give it up that quick? He can't possibly have KK, AK, or AQ here?

Take the hand from B's position. Would you not feel very comfortable value betting AQ here the way the hand is played out?

Sure, JT is a good possibility and I'm not going to reraise this river either, but I'm not considering folding for a second.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:32 AM

This is an easy call. 44, KQ are definite possibilities for this line of betting. Lesser possibilities is 2 pair with the case Ace. JT is possible, since you said the table was tilting. But if that is the case, I can't see why this can't be something as small as Q4, KK, or even a total bluff. He could have had a pair and picked up the flush draw on the turn, and is now trying to take down the pot with a weak hand and a missed draw. This is a definite call. A reraise earns you alot of pain from JT, or even more titling bluff aggression at you (which may be tough to call), but probably will only be called by something like 44 or maybe two pair. I would probably call, as reraising may put you to a more difficult decision.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A reraise earns you alot of pain from JT, or even more titling bluff aggression at you (which may be tough to call), but probably will only be called by something like 44 or maybe two pair. I would probably call, as reraising may put you to a more difficult decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that a full re-raise puts you almost allin.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:06 AM

Default What happened

A check called and won against KK. Both A and B were trying to limpraise before the flop, lol.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:00 AM

I'd push. Did he really call the flop bet with only a gut shot? Is he that bad? If you give your opponent credit for being a decent player, I think you can eliminate J10 as a possibility. I think its much more likely that he has AK, KQ, KK, QQ, 44 here or even a bluff than J10. What are your reads?
Old 01-04-2005, 08:23 AM

Pushing is horrible and shows a complete lack of knowledge of deep stack poker. I do not mean to be insulting here, but the old maxim "never draw to an inside straight" is not always true. Think how CORRECT it is it call $100 on the flop if you get this sort of action later.

Brunson really knew his stuff man.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:25 AM

Default Re: What happened

Think how great this hand goes for hero if he had simply bet preflop. He gets raised, calls? or reraises and gets called. The money is all in on the flop, or even if it's slow played, hero can safely not put B on J10.