Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 02:32 AM

Default Learning on the cheap (30-60 Stud8)

So the hand before this one...I tried to steal. And ended up folding 3rd to a call + raise.

Anyone play this different? I 3 bet 3rd because I was just caught...does anyone not do this. Afterwards I pretty much have to autobet

BTW I recently won a tourney in NLHE

7 Card Stud High-Low ($30/$60), Ante $5, Bring-In $10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.17 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises___calls

4th Street - (7.17 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (4.58 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (6.58 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

River - (8.58 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___folds

Total pot: (8.58 BB)
Old 11-29-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Learning on the cheap (30-60 Stud8)

Played perfectly IMO. Congrats on the tourney win [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 07:33 AM

no question that this is correct. Whats the alternative?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:08 AM

he's shallow enough that you might get to tap him by smooth calling 4th.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow man, that's awesome. Congrats. Was this a shot or your new game now? What tournament did you win?

Jeff
Old 11-29-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow man, that's awesome. Congrats. Was this a shot or your new game now? What tournament did you win?

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

They have these 20 table (180 person) SNGs on PS. I took first in one. I won just under 1100.

This won't be my regular game. Its not like I could take a downswing at this level. But since my short break a while back I'm trying to take my bankroll less seriously. Its not like I'm trying to blow it all in one place. But I don't want to be constantly concerned with "OMG I'm down a whole 10 BB someone shoot me". I'm trying more of a a "sign on/play well/ignore results" approach.

As strange as this sounds. This 30/60 game seemed easier than the 3/6 game. At least for me and my slightly LAGGISH playing style. (the 3/6 game has a .25 ante 30/60 has a 5 ante)
Old 11-29-2005, 11:10 AM

When does this game go? Every time I log stars lately, the 30 Stud/8 tables are either empty or have 1 person sitting.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:19 AM

last night 1-3 am EST (I couldn't sleep)
Old 11-29-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see anything in the hand converter that shows each player's stack size at the start of the hand. Am I missing something somewhere?

Regardless, the only way you get to smooth call 4th is if he bets after you check 4th. Given your 3rd street action, and how good your board catch should look to him, a 4th street check by you would appear extremely suspicious, so I don't think he'd bet 4th and give you a chance to just smooth call. So, I'd say going for the smooth call on 4th and trying to tap him would just result in one fewer SB in the pot when 5th street was dealt, and he then has more justification for folding to your 5th street bet (not that he should have needed any more justification to fold on 5th to begin with, but that's a different topic).

End result: I say you've got to bet 4th. Did you have any reads on seat 8 about defending his bring-in, chasing lows, or sticking with pairs against apparent low hands? If so, the argument for betting 4th is even more compelling.

Congrats on the NLHE tourney. Highest I ever got in a NLHE MTT was 3rd, and the 6+ hour grind wore me out.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see anything in the hand converter that shows each player's stack size at the start of the hand. Am I missing something somewhere?

Regardless, the only way you get to smooth call 4th is if he bets after you check 4th. Given your 3rd street action, and how good your board catch should look to him, a 4th street check by you would appear extremely suspicious, so I don't think he'd bet 4th and give you a chance to just smooth call. So, I'd say going for the smooth call on 4th and trying to tap him would just result in one fewer SB in the pot when 5th street was dealt, and he then has more justification for folding to your 5th street bet (not that he should have needed any more justification to fold on 5th to begin with, but that's a different topic).

End result: I say you've got to bet 4th. Did you have any reads on seat 8 about defending his bring-in, chasing lows, or sticking with pairs against apparent low hands? If so, the argument for betting 4th is even more compelling.

Congrats on the NLHE tourney. Highest I ever got in a NLHE MTT was 3rd, and the 6+ hour grind wore me out.

[/ QUOTE ]

ug...that should be smooth call 3rd.

Yeah, I didn't include stack size...probably should ahve. This guy had 64$ left at the end of this hand.

[ QUOTE ]
the 6+ hour grind wore me out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I rarely play the 1500+ person beast MTT anymore.

The 180 person deals last 4 hours max. And the last 1.5 hours of it you are fighting for real money. So you can start one of these up at the start of a session, and you'll only have to move into "tired" territory if you have a chance at real money