Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Tight image at table... how to take advantage of it.

Situation:

I have a "very tight" image at the table in our home game. Of course, this is a relative term seeing as how much people at our table are probably seeing 40-50% of flops.

I make continuation bets, semi-bluffs, and reraises w/ good draws occasionally. I'll play my position, but outside of that, tend not to bluff much at all in these small stakes games. Doesn't seem worth it with all the calling stations.

My main question is this:

How should I best exploit this image? In the past I've tried convincing them that I'm not tight, but it certainly doesn't work. Their image of me is formed in stone.

The Good:
- My raises are well-respected. Preflop, a 4-5x BB raise from me will fold out all but one person usually at a table of 8.
- Semibluffs are effective against average players

The Bad:
- Very hard to get paid off by the 'usual' players at the table, because they know I've got something.
- Some very aggro villains constantly come over the top of me on a flop pot-sized bet, knowing that most of the time I won't have a strong enough hand to call/push a re-raise.

What do you think? How do I make the most money with this image?

Should I stick with it, or start showing some bluffs? What works best?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Tight image at table... how to take advantage of it.

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think? How do I make the most money with this image?

[/ QUOTE ]What kind of home game is this? Is it with a bunch of close friends for small stakes, perhaps once a week? If so, definitely loosen up and bluff a little more. Have fun with it. That's what home games should be about, imo.

If the stakes aren't that small and this home game has acquaintances only, and your income is steady from there, don't change a thing and play a normal TAG game.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:35 PM

Your current strategy is mostly good. The best way to take advantage of a tight image is to play loose, but only do so in marginal situations. Don't raise 76s UTG if there is a slim chance of getting to showdown. Sometimes do this in late position. I assume this is NL, so limp a lot in late position to make big hands and big draws and stack your opponents at every chance. If you have a weak-tight image, tend to bluff less against tricky opponents and sometimes play big hands weakly.

Still, most of the time, play straightforward.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:03 PM

Don't fall in love with your tight image, the fish are often too stupid to notice it.